Chapter 12 - The Time of Angels

The Time of Angels, part 3 -

Suddenly, they heard gunshots and immediately ran back to the main group where they found a normal statue with multiple bulletholes now in it.

"Sorry, sorry. I thought. I thought it looked at me", a scared young Cleric muttered.

"That's all right. Better safe than sorry", Astrid told him with a small smile.

However, Octavian decided to reprimand him, "We know what the Angel looks like. Is that the Angel?"

"No, sir", the Cleric seemed even more intimidated now.

Well done, git.

"No, sir, it's not. According to the Doctor we are facing an enemy of unknowable power and infinite evil. So it would be good, it would be very good if we could all remain calm in the presence of decor", Octavian finished his lecture.

The Cleric looked down in shame so the Doctor decided to speak up in an attempt to console, "What's your name?"

"Bob, sir", he muttered, his head down.

"Ah, that's a great name. I love Bob", he nudged Astrid with a grin, "Would have been your name if you'd been a boy."

"No, it wouldn't but go on", she shook her head with a grimace at her dad before smiling at Bob apologetically.

"It's a sacred name. We all have sacred names", Octavian explained, "They're given to us in the service of the Church."

The Doctor stepped up to the pair, "Sacred Bob. More like Scared Bob now, eh?"

Bob looked between the two men in shame before admitting, "Yes, sir."

"Ah, good", he patted his shoulder, "Scared keeps you fast. Anyone in this room who isn't scared is a moron. Carry on."

The Doctor gave Octavian a meaningful look and Astrid giggled quietly behind the computer that she held up to the lower part of her face to hide her grin. The Doctor turned to wiggle his eyebrows at her amusingly and stepped up to her again.

"We'll be moving into the maze in two minutes", Octavian announced and then turned to Bob individually again, "You stay with Christian and Angelo. Guard the approach."

---

"Isn't there a chance this lot's just going to collapse? There's a whole ship up there", Amy spoke up on their way through the maze.

"Incredible builders, the Aplans", River replied.

"Had dinner with their Chief Architect once. Two heads are better than one", the Doctor added.

"What, you mean you helped him?", Amy furrowed her brows.

"No, I mean he had two heads. That book, the very end, what did it say?", he demanded from River.

"Hang on", she fumbled for the book.

"Read it to me."

"What if we had ideas that could think for themselves? What if one day our dreams no longer needed us? When these things occur and are held to be true, the time will be upon us. The time of Angels."

---

"Are we there yet? It's a hell of a climb", Amy complained later.

"The Maze is on six levels, representing the ascent of the soul. Only two levels to go", River informed her.

"Lovely species, the Aplans. We should visit them some time", the Doctor said.

"Ooo, not without me, please", Astrid chimed in.