Chapter 1- In the Beginning

Late at night, Tara and Mycroft laid naked on a sun-bed in the middle of a swimming pool, outside the villa suite of a hotel. Tara laid in Mycroft's arms, her head resting on his chest while he had one arm wrapped around her slender frame. Mycroft reached his hand to the bedside table and grabbed a pack of cigarettes lying next to an empty box of condoms. He held out the pack to Tara, who slid it open and took a cigarette. Mycroft placed the pack back on the table and grabbing the lighter lying on the table, he lit the cigarette between Tara's lips. Tara took one long drag and passed it to Mycroft as she exhaled, 'This is weird, right? Us like this, it's weird, right?' she asked and continued to stare up at the night sky.

Mycroft coughed and looked at Tara in slight worry. After all, they had just renewed their vows and for her to say something like that, now that was weird, 'What?' he asked, still coughing.

Tara immediately realised what Mycroft was thinking and chuckled lightly, 'No, I mean us on this long government-sponsored vacation, completely relaxed, not a care in the world. That feels weird' she explained.

Tara could feel Mycroft's chest rumble as he chuckled softly and hummed in response, 'It won't last long. It'll pass when we get back to London. There is a lot of work to be done' he told her.

Tara got herself out of Mycroft's grip and looked at him, propping herself up on her elbow, 'After everything that has happened in the past two years, you think you can just go back to boring diplomatic work?' she asked.

Mycroft smiled at his wife, more so at the rare moment of him imparting wisdom to her, 'You don't have to worry about life getting monotonous and boring. Life will always find a way to make itself interesting' he told her and kissed her. 'And if not, the Prime Minister will' he said as they pulled apart.

Tara chortled, 'What?!' and asked.

Mycroft smiled and shook his head gingerly, 'The Prime Minister's new legislative agenda. Education reform. A complete overhaul. That's what I'll be working on after we get back' he explained.

Tara hummed and turned, laying on her back, 'After everything that has happened, it's hard to believe he didn't fire you. Instead, he sent us on this month-long vacation completely sponsored by the government and he's trusting you with this Education Bill' she mused.

Mycroft cocked his head, 'Well, that's the thing about having highly skilled people in your circle, you don't want to lose them. Rather, you can't afford to lose them' he told Tara.

Tara sighed, 'While you are busy being too valuable to lose to the Prime Minister, I'm going to rebuild the bakery from the ground up' she told Mycroft. She had been thinking about it for a while but hadn't told Mycroft until now.

Mycroft nodded reluctantly, 'You know, you could take me up on my offer' he reminded her.

Tara huffed a laugh, 'I'm good. Thank you' she said and turned to Mycroft. Her chin resting Mycroft's chest, 'I have decided to change the bakeries name, build it back up from the ground up, and make Mrs. Hudson and Grace equal partners' she said. The bakery had been neglected ever since Tara had been kidnapped by Eye. Grace and Mrs. Hudson had tried to shoulder the load of the bakery but the bakery had suffered a huge loss and dip in its popularity. Under her current circumstances, Tara was in no condition to run the bakery all by herself. So, she decided she would share the load with Mrs. Hudson and Grace. Both Mrs. Hudson and Grace could use the extra money and Tara could use the help. The three of them would start afresh. 'What do you think?' Tara asked with a hopeful smile.

Mycroft shrugged, 'I think it's a very good idea' he said. But Tara going back to national security was an even better idea. In Mycroft's opinion, Tara belonged in the intelligence and security business. She would never feel the fulfilment and satisfaction that she felt as an agent, in running a bakery. Mycroft had given her an option once. She had declined it. It was her choice, and Mycroft wouldn't and couldn't force her.