Chapter 8- Child Of Mine

Mycroft stood in front of the baby warmer and watched the two newborns sleeping peacefully in it. With everything that had happened with Tara, he hadn't really taken a good look at the babies. Of course, he was the first one to hold them but he was so worried about Tara, he didn't really notice. The doctors had announced that the twins were absolutely fine, and only needed to be monitored for a few days before they could go home. They had placed both the twins in the same baby warmer, saying it would be comforting for them to be together.

'Look very fully functioning' he thought, then internally slapped himself. He had to do better than that. Even the neonatal specialist who had treated the babies had said that. They were his daughters. His own. He was their father. Certainly, he could do better than 'They look very fully functioning'.

He looked at both of his daughters. They were so small. Their tiny features looked like they had been touched by angels. They were twins and born 6 weeks preterm so, the low birth weight was justified. They would put on some weight in a couple of weeks.

They slept peacefully snuggled up close to each other, like when they were in their mother's womb. Both of them were beautiful and had long slender limbs, their skin was pink and a soft tuft of dark hair covered their heads. One of the twins had her arms out of her swaddle and the other one's feet were out. With the back of his finger, he stroked the back of her feet. He smiled when the sleeping babe's toes curled up against his finger, the warm sensation spreading through his chest again.

He smiled and decided to introduce himself properly, 'Hello! I'm your father. You two young ladies gave us quite the scare. I never thought I could love someone the way I loved your mother but then again, I never thought I was capable of feeling love in the first place. Turns out I can be wrong... on multiple occasions. I wasn't half the man I am before I met her' he spoke. It seemed a little out of character for Mycroft to talk to babies, that to such intimate details of his life.

As if on cue, one of them slowly opened her eyes. He bit his lip to stop himself from laughing at her and watched as she blinked sleepily, blue eyes cloudy. She already had so much wonder and curiosity in her eyes. They were blueish grey like his own, but it was probably too soon to confirm that. He still smiled at the similarity, one of the rare Mycroft Holmes smiles. The smile disappeared when the baby started to squirm and flail her arms, slapping her sister on the face. She was definitely the twin who had her legs wrapped around her sister's head. Mycroft had an amused smile on his face, they would have to deal with their daughter's habit of slapping her sister. For the moment, he gently took her arm and put it back in her swaddle so she didn't accidentally hit her sister again.

Now both the twins were awake and staring up at their father. Mycroft had expected them to scream, wail, wake up the entire hospital but the twins surprised him. All they did was coo and it was the sweetest sound he had ever heard. They blinked up at him, clearly fighting the urge to fall back to sleep as their faces wrinkled in confusion, a new face, a new world, brighter than the one they had previously inhabited.

They looked exactly the same. Of course, they did, there were identical twins, but Mycroft couldn't tell the difference without the tags on their ankles. The one on his left was twin A and the one on his right was twin B. They had to work with twins A and B until their parents could come up with a satisfactory name.