Did I Know You?

It was strange being inside of Heavenly Host. Supposedly it had been torn down years ago, but here it was.

Even more strange was the girl named Sachiko and her plan to set things right.

"Ok, so explain one more time."

"In order to bring them back I have to join my spirit with yours," she repeated for the fifth time. It still made little sense to me, but if it brought back Sakutaro, it was worth a shot. "To even have a hope of succeeding, the other spirit much have a pure heart, and you passed that test."

"Ok... I still don't get it."

She just sighed. "Let's just get started, ok?" Her hand reached out towards me and went through my chest. Surprisingly, there wasn't any sort of wound, but then again she was a ghost. From there, the rest of her ghostly body absorbed into my own.

"What the hell was THAT?"

Calm down, Sachiko's voice said inside my mind, startling me. I'll guide you through it. Even if I don't speak, I will guide your hands to their task.

So now my fate was in the hands of a ghost I barely knew. There had to be more to this than what Sachiko was telling me.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked innocently. "I don't get it. You didn't kill them... did you?"

Before my soul can truly rest, I must redeem myself. Their lives were stolen from them because of my own corruption, now I must set it right.

My body then began walking on its own. "Hey! I can handle the walking!" I complained, second-guessing my decision to let her control me.

When she finally let me regain control of myself, I was kneeling next to a skeleton. "What am I-" Sachiko answered by making me place my hand over where its heart would have been.

As soon as I touched the bone, everything changed. I was walking around searching for Chiyo and out of nowhere, I was hit over the head with a hammer. Suddenly I was back with the skeleton, only it wasn't a skeleton anymore. In front of me was a girl about my age, in a uniform I didn't recognize.

In the blink of an eye, she was gone. Vanished. I turned hoping to see Sachiko standing there, but there was nothing. She had possessed my body, so seeing her wasn't possible.

She is back in her own time and place. The memory of this place will linger in her mind, though she will think it is only a dream.

"You realize how insane that sounds, right?"

As insane as you talking to yourself?

"Hey, I did not ask you to poke around inside my head," I said, trying to think of some sort of comeback, though there wasn't much that could be said. She was right, after all. "What now?"

We do this for every body we find, Sachiko's voice instructed. What you saw were the last few minutes before her death. Hers was quick, but the others will be much longer and painful. The more you go through, the more of a toll it will take on you.

"So in the end... it will probably kill me?" Sure, the thought was scary but I couldn't just abandon everyone to suffer here. At the very least I could set their spirits free.

I told you that already. Surely you're not backing out, are you?

"No way!"

Good. I wasn't going to let you quit anyway.

"Let's do this."

Time seemed to stand still, but then again, I was repeating the same thing over and over. Stuck in a seemingly endless loop. One by one, I watched the deaths and memories of countless students who'd been trapped in this god-awful place.