Chapter 26. Rolling Along (Sexual Content)

On September 20, 1946, Steve and Peggy welcomed a son, Joseph Harrison Rogers, named after both of their fathers.  The umbilical cord was delivered to Dr. North who spent most of the next eight months creating the next batch of serum using Rogers' blood.  He also saved some of the stem cells using a cryogenic process with the intent of trying to create their own stem cell line in the lab.  

Unlike Kate's painless birth experience, Peggy's labour was along more traditional lines, a difference attributed to the different serums that had created the super soldier process.  Peggy had started noticing positive health improvements prior to the birth and asked Dr. North about the possibility of one of the serums being made available to her.  At first the General refused but Kate had a meeting with him and explained how future Peggy had been very important in the running of Shield but had succumbed to a form of dementia that would likely be avoided if she were given the serum.  She also reasoned with him that Peggy had already proven herself as a loyal and dedicated agent, qualities that would be amplified if the serum did its work.  The decision was made to save one vial of serum for her but it would only be administered after the other vials had been administered to volunteers and the side effects noted.   In thanks Kate agreed to a vial of her blood being taken to expand the blood type availability of the Barnes serum then advised the General she was pregnant again.

John's second birthday was marked with a trip to Coney Island and a ride on the carousel there.   The Farrells came out as did Steve and Peggy with baby Joe.  A month later Kate and Bucky stood up as Joe's godparents during his christening.

Kate's contribution to the 3rd floor office's study of the file cabinet contents proved invaluable.  There were over two hundred files in the cabinet and Kate remembered the names of three quarters of the individuals.  She was able to provide more information on what they had done in her timeline. 

Her physical skills also improved, especially the knife skills.  She regularly took the fight training until she began to show in early 1947.  She was able to hold her own with most men, and could also hold her own for a time against both Steve and Bucky.  Isaiah refused to fight her, saying he couldn't fight a woman.  Both Kate and Bucky went up in the air several times with either Annette or George, to determine the extent of their piloting knowledge.  Both instinctively knew enough to warrant formal pilot's training, increasing the number of pilots in the SSR to five, when they both gained their wings before Christmas.   Howard Stark pushed for all them to receive helicopter training as well, seeing the aircraft as an important part of the future Avengers.  Kate confirmed it's importance in future military, civilian and medical uses and the decision was made to invest in the aircraft in the new year.

The end of November saw the celebration of Rebecca's 1st birthday.  Like her older brother she had become quite precocious physically, walking at 8 months, jumping at 9 months and displaying a disregard for safety when she was caught climbing a back yard tree at the age of 11 months after being left unattended for a moment.  She opened the back door of the house and walked outside eyeing the trees.  It was Marshal Smith who saw her as he leaned against his car having a cigarette.  He watched as she began climbing up the trunk like a squirrel.  Going to retrieve her she thought it was a game and laughingly climbed up in a hurry giggling at him as she left him behind.  Calling into the house in a panic Kate and Mary came out and laughed at the toddler who seemed quite pleased with her perch high above them.

"Mrs. Barnes," said Smith. "She's in danger.  We need to call the fire department right now."

"Marshal," said Kate, "she's okay where she is.  She has the ability to come down herself.  It's all part of learning her capabilities.  If there's a problem I can get her down."

After several tries to coax her down Kate finally jumped up herself and sat on the branch with her daughter looking out over the yard. 

"Hi Mama," she said.