Caldwell Time

Hi all! Here's chapter one- enjoy and please remember to vote! - Bryn

+++

"I'm not going to laugh!" I giggle, realizing I've already failed my own oath.

I watch Blake's cheeks flush pink. His lips form a nervous smile and he looks down at his worn guitar. Naturally, strands of his dirty blonde hair fall effortlessly over his eyes and he runs his other hand through it to meet my gaze again. "Promise?" He asks, his puppy-dog eyes shimmering in the moonlight.

Sitting cross legged, I lean closer to him and whisper, my hot breath on his left cheek,

"Promise."

He gives in. "Okay, but keep in mind, I know the lyrics aren't great but-"

"Blake," I interrupt, speaking truthfully and looking deeper into his blue eyes. "I'm sure it's beautiful." I assure him.

Holding his plastic pic in hand, he begins to gently strum his guitar. I close my eyes, savoring every moment. I fall deep into his hypnotizing rhythm, swaying my body, unable to keep myself from forming a wide smile.

"Blake.." I say quietly, still lost in his soft playing.

"Lise..." He whispers, his quiet voice engulfing my ears.

"I love it." I say, smiling. I bite my lip and continue to sway at his playing.

"Lise..."

"Lise!" A hard nudge knocks me awake, and I find myself at the back of Mr. Caldwell's Calculus class. I quickly sit up, adjusting my position from my previous slid - down in chair one and wipe the drool off the side of my mouth. Gross.

Nice one, Alisa. First day and you're already taking power - naps in class. I'd say that's a pretty solid start.

"How long was I out?" whisper to my best frind Lexi, the initiator of the infamous nudge.

"You tell me. Sounds like it was getting pretty steamy in there." She smirks and taps her head with her pencil, indicating the origin of my daydreams.

I teasingly glare at her.

She smiles and leans over to me, keeping her eyes to the whiteboard at the front. "Did you want that in normal or Caldwell time? Cause' it's been like fifteen minutes, but it felt like 6 light years." She whispers sarcastically.

I laugh quietly, feeling a pounding in my head shortly after. "Ugh- I'm exhausted." I complain, rubbing my forehead. "Do you have-"

"Flat white, sprinkle of cinnamon." Lexi passes me her hot latte under the desk, and I desperately accept.

"I don't deserve you." I say, grasping the paper cup with two hands, savoring the heat in the cold classroom. Why do old teachers always like it so cold? Are they in the morgue already?

"I know." She smiles. "So," She continues. "What were you dreaming about?"

"What? I wasn't dreaming." I reply quickly.

She rolls her eyes and settles back into her desk. She waits a second, then smirks as an idea pops into her head.

"Blake..." She closes her eyes and mockingly moans quietly.

My head spins around in surprise. "LEXI!" I shout.

oops.

Heads start to turn around and face me, and I sink into my chair, my embarrassed face feeling hot.

oh god.

"Is something wrong, Miss Ledger?" An annoyed Mr. Caldwell is turned around, stepping closer to my desk in the back.

shit.

"Um, no." I respond tomato faced, sitting up straight and tucking my hair behind my ears.

"In that case, I'd keep the shouting to a minimum. Clear?" He says, sternly.

"Clear." I say quietly. I feel the stares of my turned around classmates on me.

Mr. Caldwell turns back around and walks toward the whiteboard, the students head's following him. I let out a small sign of relief.

He continues teaching, and I give a "WTF?" glare to Lexi.

She shrugs, leaning over again to whisper to me. "Just be thankful I woke you up," She teases. "That could've gone really far, really fast."

I roll my eyes and smile, continuing to sip the latte.

***

Mr. Caldwell walks down the classroom aisle slowly as he speaks. I straighten, pretending to be invested in AP Calculus.

"The Origin of Pi." He announces, handing out crisp white packets of paper. "You'll need to pick a research partner and have your report ready by tomorrow." He explains.

Lexi and I glance at each other, knowingly.

"Partners?" I mouth.

"Duh." She mouths back.

As he reaches the back of the classroom to hand out the last few papers, the bell rings, erupting the students from their desks. I slide the packet into my bag and throw it over my shoulder, following Lexi out the door quickly, aiming to avoid a confrontation session with the teacher.

Just as I think I'm in the clear-

"Alisa." Mr. Caldwell interrupts my determined strut out of the classroom.

This mf.

I roll my eyes, my back turned to him. I spin around, plastering a smile on my face. I address him sweetly, "Yes?"

"I'm not sure what happened today, and frankly I don't want to know," He inhales and continues, "but let's try and make this a good year, okay?"

I release the tension I unknowingly was building in my upper body and my shoulders drop in relief.

"Yeah." I sigh and smile, appreciating his honesty and understanding.

He nods, granting permission for us to leave. Lexi and I walk out of the classroom and into the corridor, heading towards the cafeteria.

"At least 48 hours." Lexi confidently declares after a minute.

"What?" I reply, confused.

"Oh, I thought you were asking me how long that very awkward exchange felt in Caldwell time." She laughs. I smile and lightly elbow her.

+++

Ahhh!! Chapter one done! Hope you enjoyed :) - Bryn