Chapter Thirteen: Jealousy

I know Mateo and I couldn't deny the fact that there's chemistry between us. Under the circumstances, what felt illegal, seemed so right. The back door swung open as we heard a familiar voice. "Luca darling, your mother needs you-" said Nina. Her face froze in horror and disgust. Mateo and I quickly broke the kiss. "How dare you!! Taking advantage of this poor man! Have you no shame? His father just died!" yelled Nina.

"Nina, I—" said Mateo. He wasn't able to get a single word out as Nina continued to ramble. Nina grabbed him and pushed him into the funeral parlor. She stayed back, turned around and walked towards me. "I don't want you ever doing that again. He doesn't care about you. He's just vulnerable right now and you thought this was the perfect opportunity to do your dirty business," she said in my face.

"Dirty business? Nina it wasn't even like that-" I said. She interrupted me by putting her hand in my face. "I don't care. I see the way you look at him. Keep your distance or shit will get ugly," she said as she turned away and walked back into the funeral parlor. I stood there in silence for a minute, trying to collect my thoughts before heading back in. After spending some time at the viewing, I headed home.

The next day, I went to my intership along with Cardo. It was Friday. I looked across the room to see an empty chair and desk. I know that Mateo wasn't going to be in because he was burying his father today. I couldn't stop thinking about the kiss or the fact that after all that's happened last night, Mateo still hasn't texted. I pushed my hair back in frustration and threw myself into my work.

Hours has passed and there was 30 minutes left before the end of the day. I was distracted as I heard a familiar voice. It was Mateo. He went into his office closing the door behind him. Minutes have passed and it was almost time to go home. Staring at Mateo's office, the door was still closed. I decided to make a latte and bring it to him.

I knocked on his door. "Come in," he said. I opened the door holding the little cup of latte in my hand. He leaned back in his chair. "I'm glad you're here. I was just about to catch you before you left for the day," he comtinued. I set down the latte. "This is for you," I said. He put his phone down on the desk and took the latte, drinking it. Mateo gestures me to take a seat. "Thank you by the way," he said. I nodded.

"How did it go today?" I asked. "It was honestly hard. Mom just came to reality the fact that nothing's going to bring him back," he said. "Your mom is a strong woman," I said. He smiled. "This just means that I'm officially taking my father's place. Not that I haven't been doing so already," he continued. "Well, congratulations," I said.  He smiled. "Yeah, thanks. I just wish it was under different circumstances, you know?"

I nodded. He put down his latte and came around his desk, sitting infront of me. "I want to thank you Mia, for letting me vent to you," he continued. I gave him a warm smile. "And also, I wanted to talk to you about.. The kiss," he added. I swallowed hard. "Oh—" I said nervously. "And if we're being honest Mia, I like you. I know there's somewhat of a connection between us. And I know you feel it too," he said.

We were disturbed by a knock at the door. Before Mateo could say another word, Nina walked in. "Mateo, darling," she said. Nina paused and scowled at me. "What's she doing here? Shouldn't you be on your way out or something?" she said rudely. I abruptly got up. "Oh— yeah. I was just leaving. See you Monday Mateo," I said before walking out his office quickly.

~

Mia didn't even give me a chance to say anything before she left. "I see we're allowing office interns to call us by our first names now?" said Nina. I rolled my eyes. "What do you want Nina?" I asked, annoyed. She didn't like that I sounded annoyed. "Listen Mateo, I really don't trust that Mia girl," she said. I folded my arms as a leaned back on my desk. "Now what makes you say that?" I questioned.

"Uh— well, just the other day I seen her talking to Rose. If you ask me, I think she's plotting some sketchy business," she justified . I raised an eyebrow. "Nina, my employees are allowed to talk to my interns," I said. She rolled her eyes. "Well if I were you, I'd still be careful," she demanded. "Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Let me deal with my employees and next time you should mind your business," I suggested, before grabbing my jacket and leaving my office.