Part 4

Maya woke up feeling extremely disoriented as she opened her eyes. As she looked around the room, she remembered she had been admitted to the Covid ward at Grey Sloan in the middle of the night. She moved a little, her body feeling slightly less achy, probably thanks to intravenous fever reducers and proper oxygenation.

She looked around, seeing that she was in a room alone. She looked up at her monitors, happy that her oxygen was still 99. She raised the bed a little, leaning back on the pillows.

Just then, the door opened and Andrew walked in.

"How are you feeling this morning Maya?" he asked, checking the monitors.

"A little better actually," she said, coughing, "I think you got my fever down a little and having good oxygen is also a pig plus."

"Good," Andrew said, laughing at her a little, "Well, for today, I want to try some clear fluids for you. Any preferences?"

"Can't smell or taste so it will all taste the same," Maya shrugged, "Is Carina gonna come back today?"

"She should be down any minute," Andrew nodded, looking at the clock. "Good," Maya smiled behind her mask.

"Are you sure you didn't just fake being sick to see my sister?" Andrew joked.

"Positive," Maya said, coughing harder this time.

"Alright," he said, looking at her monitor, "Try not to talk too much. You need to save your strength."

Maya nodded, already starting to feel tired.

"Andrea," Carina said, walking into the room, "Isn't vitals normally a nurse's job?"

"I promised you I would keep an eye on her," he shrugged, running a thermometer over Maya's forehead, "103.0, down over a degree."

"And yet still much too high," Carina frowned, sitting down in a chair next to Maya, "How are you feeling this morning?"

"A little better," Maya said, eyelids getting heavy as Carina sat down.

"Good," Carina smiled, brushing a piece of sweaty hair off Maya's forehead, feeling the heat though her gloves, "You look exhausted Bambina. You should try to sleep."

"Can we call Vic first?" Maya said, coughing a little, "I just need her to know I'm ok."

"Of course," Carina nodded as Maya found her phone sitting on the table.

Carina took the phone from Maya, the blonde's hands incredible shaky.

"Hey," Vic said, picking up the phone, clearly in bed.

"Did we wake you?" Carina asked.

"No," Vic said, "Just sitting here waiting for Andy to get up so I can tell her about last night's adventure. How are you feeling this morning, Mai?"

"A little better," Maya said, coughing again, "Still pretty terrible. How are you?"

"Not too bad," Vic shrugged, "Feverish and achy. Oh, I think I hear Andy. Hey Herrera, come here."

"What?" Andy said, walking into the room, "Who are you talking to?"

"Maya," Vic said as Andy sat down.

"Too lazy to go next door?" Andy asked, confused until she saw Maya and Carina on the screen, "What the hell is going on?"

"I had to take Maya to the hospital in the middle of the night," Vic said with a sigh, "She was decompensating."