Chapter 18

Useless. I feel we won't get anything out of him.. he hasn't been of any help since the beginning." Complained to the inspector.

Nagito looked at him, kinda irritated that he didn't let him continue his show, he then stared at the ground thoughtfully, before he finally spoke. "..Or... I can also simply give you, here and now, the identity of the murderer.." he affirmed.

An awkward silence followed his words.
'What does he mean by that?'

"I swear if it's a joke.." started Mr.Brone.

"Do you really think you know who the killer is?" I cried.

He did not answer.

"Okay, come on and tell us already." Hurried the inspector.

"It's Ava." He stated.

'Ava..?'

"Ava? You mean The Bagel Restaurant's owner?" I asked confused.

'What does she have to do with all this, she may have lied to us a couple of times but I can't see her connection with the case.'

He didn't bother to answer but turned to face the inspector. "When will the blood test results come up?" He asked.

The inspector looked at his watch and then answered. "In 15 minutes, it's almost time. Now, would you care to explain?" He asked coldly.

"Why would I? You are the one who said I was useless." he started.
"Just..explain." Interrupted Chiaki, annoyed.

"Okay..," he sighed in defeat as he faced me.
"Hinata, you know that Ava inherited the restaurant from her grandfather, right?"

"Yes? What does it have to do with all this?" I asked even more confused.

"You didn't have time to interrogate her so I understand.., its all my fault.., because if you did, I have no doubt that a detective as great as you, would have figured the answer by now." He paused.

"I shall then give you the information that you missed!" He claimed.
'What is he talking about.'

"As you may know from now, Ava inherited Bagel restaurant from her grandfather, but actually, there's more to that."

"What do you mean?" Questioned Chiaki.

"She had a brother.. Thomas Anderson, and he also inherited something from their grandfather, while she only got the restaurant, he inherited a large amount of money and hotels." He paused, waiting for a comment.

"And she thought it was unfair.." I murmured.

"Precisely, and that's why she fought, she was persuaded a part of that money belonged to her. She used the small amount of money she managed to collect from Bagel restaurant, to hire advocates who could help her."

"How do you know all that?!" I asked crying.

"That's not the point." He stated.

"Anyway, and what happened next?" Questioned the inspector.

"Well, after that, was the day of Tsumiki's murder, like I said in my testimony, she was acting anxious and hurried when she first arrived in the morning, she then got a call from someone on the phone, and then she left the restaurant for a while before she came back and lied to Hinata, saying that I was the one not at the restaurant that morning."

"How do you know that she lied to me?" I asked.

"Well, you and your assistant came to me affirming that I was not here yesterday morning, which is false, and I don't think anyone else than her could have told you that."