60: The Preparations

"Two weeks. In two weeks she will be here," Xavier muses to himself, thinking of Princess Mireille, as he inspects the Great Hall of Cloiche Fuar. Queen Bêtel hardly ever uses the expansive space, preferring her Torture Wing for the business of ruling that she actually handles herself. However, it will be used as the main dining area for the Midsummer's Eve Ball, and thus it is already being cleaned and prepared for that auspicious event. So far, everything seems to be going according to plan, and Xavier breathes a quiet sigh of relief. His home has been remarkably quiet since Queen Bêtel fell ill a few days ago; everyone is terrified of disturbing her. Nevertheless, the Prince and his staff and Royal Advisers have been remarkably productive in their days of reprieve. I just hope that, when she has recovered and is up and about again, she doesn't undo all of our good work, Xavier worries. He fears the Queen's recovery will be soon, based on the reports he has been getting from the staff who have been attending her.

"Ah, there you are. I was told I would find you here," the Duke of Pelanshire greets his friend as he strides into the Great Hall, Enzo and a servant carrying samples of flowers at his heels.

"Welcome back, Jerôme. I take it your voyage was successful?" the Prince inquires.

"Quite, as you see. Lovely flowers this time of year in that village. The man I spoke to would be more than happy to supply whatever you most prefer of these options for the Midsummer's Eve Ball. He says they will still be blooming two weeks hence."

"Excellent. Lilies, I think, all colors, and some of those purple blossoms, and some of the red. Extra greenery, as well, perhaps some ivy. I think we only need them for table decorations and some garlands for the windows in the Royal Ballroom."

"Let us make some measurements and do some calculations, then, and I will send a courier to him in the morning with our order."

"The rest of your business was also concluded satisfactorily?"

"I obtained everything I sought, yes." The Duke speaks vaguely, which is safest outside of their private apartments, but the Prince still catches his meaning, and is suitably impressed that Jerôme has gotten a letter for Christelle from her family and, presumably, her family's permission for their courtship to continue.

"I am glad on it. You must tell me more, later."

"Of course. Shall we begin on the measurements and calculations?"

"What the devil is going on in here?" Queen Bêtel shrills, interrupting their conversation and bringing all of the servants' work to a sudden standstill.

"Preparations for the Midsummer's Eve Ball, Your Majesty," Prince Xavier replies smoothly, approaching his mother, who has entered through a door on the west side of the Great Hall. Likely she has come directly from her chambers, he suspects; her personal suite is in the West Wing, along with all of her implements of torture.

"I am surprised to see you up and about, and I hope that we have not disturbed you. Are you feeling better?"

"I was, until I came down here and saw this garbage. Who authorized all of this? Why wasn't I consulted?"

"My apologies, Your Majesty. I thought that taking some of the preparations upon myself while you were indisposed would be helpful to you. What that we have done displeases you?" He cannot fathom what it might be; all they have done so far is thoroughly clean the room and set up the tables that they and their guests will dine at during the event.

"No cobwebs anywhere. Everything is shining. And all of the tables should take a quarter turn," the Queen gripes.

"We will be adding fake cobwebs in the decorations, as per our various discussions with our Royal Advisers. We simply had to clean up, Your Majesty. Some of our guests may be allergic to dust, and we cannot have all the sumptuous food we have ordered ruined by sneezing guests," Xavier persuades. "And Queen Généviève is a most fastidious person, quite insistent upon order and cleanliness. We do want our Vyrunian allies to be impressed, do we not? The tables, however, will be arranged to your liking forthwith."