Thriller

Jace: Somedays, we like to dream about how we were when we were kids. Some people like it because they like to relive it, but for me...it's a long story.

(*Cues: Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Tears for Fears*)

7 years ago on Halloween...

Jace wakes up to the sound of an alarm clock going off. He snoozes it and pushes himself up from the bed. Suddenly, a knocking sound on his door wakes him up.

???: Hey kid! Time to get up! Your mom's cooking pancakes for you!

9-year-old Jace: OK, I'm coming.

He gets out of the basement and walks upstairs before being greeted by his dad, George Lavender. His mom, Priscilla Lavender, was finishing up the last few pancakes.

George: Sleep well last night?

9-year-old Jace: Sure did.

Priscilla: Good morning, my green hero. (gives him a plate) Here's your pancake, and I put chocolate chips in them, just as how you like it!

9-year-old Jace: Thanks, mom.

He quickly eats his breakfast just as he sees the school bus pull up. He quickly finishes his last piece and gets his backpack. Just as he's about to leave, he quickly hugs his parents.

9-year-old Jace: I love you, mom and dad.

George: We love you, too. Now quickly go.

9-year-old Jace: (does a quick salute) Roger!

He then runs off to get onto the bus as his parents watch him leave for school. 

Jace: Halloween was never my favorite holiday, but that didn't mean I couldn't have fun. But on that night...

(*Music fades*)

...Everything changed.

Jace was walking home from school, but as he did, he saw fire trucks parked by the sidewalk where his house was. He then started to run to his house, only to see it explode and engulf into a flock of flames. As he watched the firemen douse the wreckage, a single teardrop began to fall from his eye.

Jace: And then, I ended up in the orphanage.

Present-day...

In the training room and early in the morning, Jace was practicing his sword-fighting skills. When he finished, he saw someone approach him. It was Pyrrha Nikos.

Jace: Oh, hi.

Pyrrha: Hey. 

Jace sheathed his sword as Pyrrha sat by him. 

Jace: So, what brings you here?

Pyrrha: Nothing really. I just wanted to come train here, but then I didn't want to interrupt you.

Jace: Oh, sorry. I didn't know. 

Pyrrha: No, it's OK. 

However, Jace was feeling a bit uncomfortable on the inside. He wasn't used to having girls sitting next to him. 

Jace: So, where's the rest of your team?

Pyrrha: They went out to go buy costumes. Why don't you join them?

Jace: *Chuckles* I was about to ask the same thing to you. Well, instead of dressing up and collecting candy, I just like to be in peace and quiet and look at the blue sky and bright sun.

Pyrrha blushed at this and leaned on his shoulder. 

Jace: I wonder what the others are up to?