epilogue: in another life

1994

The glowing walls of Shadyside Mall called a grown Nick Goode in. The night of the Camp Nightwing Massacre was nothing other than a distant memory, but it felt like only yesterday Nick Goode had lost the one thing he cherished with every fibre of his being.

Poor Tamsin Slater.

The girl who fell victim to her own brother, a boy that snapped and went psycho out of the blue.

He had never felt the way he did for her for anyone else since.

He didn't speak to Ziggy nor did he make any attempt to connect with her after saving her life under the command of a dying Tammy.

He made his way further into the mall, his stride self-assuring and strong.

He was safe, whatever was going on.

He was a Goode.

The glowing paint splattered along the floor created a luminous, colourful path to follow.

The tree Ziggy and Cindy Berman died in front of looked down at the man as he drew closer to the stranger in front of it. There was a rattling of shop shutters but the gun in his hand gave him that extra bit of reassurance.

He. Was. Safe.

Or, so he thought, at least.

As he got closer to the tree, it became obvious to him who was stood before him.

It was Ziggy Berman.

His lips parted slightly as everything he tried to forget came slithering back into his mind ruthlessly.

The kiss.

The lovemaking.

The fun.

The sheer feeling of being alive with her.

Tammy Slater.

Nothing would bring her back, she was too far gone.

Sixteen years too long.

Sixteen years buried beside her brother.

Sixteen years of unrequited feelings with a dead girl.

"Ziggy," Nick exhaled, looking down at the girl he had saved all those years ago.

"Nick ... " Ziggy replied, her eyes focusing on her saviour.

"What are you doing here?" Nick asked, trying to find the courage to ask how she'd been.

"Fixing your mess," She managed to say unrelentingly, "What you did to Tamsin ... was unforgivable. She trusted you. You were the one person who made her feel special besides her brother ... and you used him to destroy her," Ziggy growled at him, her eyes burning into him with a distasteful glare. "As bad as it sounds ... I'm glad she didn't survive that night, because if she'd found out you, the one and only boy she had ever loved, was the cause not only behind the massacre but the death of Tommy ... her brother ... she wouldn't be anywhere near as forgiving as I am."

"Ziggy ..." Nick shook his head in disbelief, what he thought would be a nice catch up had turned into death threats and blame.

Nick knew it was his fault, of course he did, but he didn't like being accused of being behind everything.

Especially not Tammy's death.

That wasn't his fault, it couldn't be ... could it?

"She wanted me to give you a message though ..." Ziggy nodded, her hand wrapping around a thin string attached to something higher than them.

"Tag, you're it."

And she pulled.