Chapter 27

After finishing feeding the horses, the Wellen family gathered in the dining room for dinner. Tessa told me that they always had dinner together, unless something prevented them.  

Tonight's dinner was a savory roast.  And while I'd ate some of the best foods that money could buy, there was just something different about it.  Maybe it was because it was simple.  

The Wellens kept me actively engaged in the conversation, which centered on the horse world.  Let's be real here, what else would we talk about?  They wanted to know about the expensive horses I had ridden, and I wanted to know what running a stable was like.

After that, Tessa helped her mother clean up while I went upstairs to unpack a little.  

After picking out my clothes for the next day, I flopped down on the bed.  The covers and sheets smelled freshly washed.  I stared up at the ceiling and pondered all that I had learned today.  

Star Run stables was not like Vantage Point in any way.  Not in luxury, and not in environment or atmosphere either.  Despite not having hot water in the baths, or a huge indoor arena, or a gigantic shining tack room, Star Run felt more like a home than Vantage Point ever had.  

I wondered if that was because it was just more simple and compact, or if it was because of the kindness being shown to me.  Tessa and her family genuinely wanted to help both horses and people, whereas at Vantage Point, everyone always seemed to have a general feeling of cool politeness towards each other.  In many cases, there was often rivalry, as riders who boarded there often competed against each other. 

Tessa seemed genuinely happy to be around the horses.  She talked to them and knew their quirks.  She treated each horse with kindness, but of course reserved her most fervent love for Challenger.  

Soon after Tab had left, something had shifted for me.  I no longer enjoyed being at the barn as much as I used to.  I couldn't remember the last time I'd kissed a horse, or even just talked to one in that affectionate tone that Tessa used.  

My priorities had switched to competition.  I strove to do my best, and the horses had to live up to that.  When they didn't, they were sold.  I never blamed myself for their failure, it was always them that was at fault.  

Until Medallion had come along and shattered my world.  

Now I had to decide if I wanted to try to glue the pieces back into the original picture, or use them to create a totally new one. 

Tessa had asked me the night before if I wanted to get up at the same time she did.  Since that time was 6:15, and I normally got up at 6:45, I figured I could handle it and told her to get me up then.  

Funny how things tend to shift when morning comes.  

The sound of knocking on my door caused me to jerk awake and wonder for a split second just where in the world I was.  Then it all came rushing back, and I mumbled a sleepy, "Yes?"  

"Time to get up.  You have twenty-five minutes to use the shower if you want to,"  came Tessa's all too cheery voice through the door.  

"Kay," I mumbled out as I faceplanted back into my pillow.  

I guess she heard me because I heard her footsteps padding away from the door.  

For a few moments I wrestled with whether to get up and take a quick shower, or just sleep in an extra thirty minutes.  The need for a shower won out, so I pulled out some clothes from my suitcase and went down the hall to the bathroom.  

Taking quick showers was a skill of mine, and I was out in twenty minutes.  Tessa came out from her bed room just then.  Despite being in PJs, and with rumpled hair, she somehow looked way more composed than me.  

While I waited for her to get done, I blow dried my hair, brushed it, and applied one light layer of foundation.  

I had just finished when she knocked on my door.  "Breakfast!"  She called.  

I pulled open the door.  Savory smells greeted me.  Tessa was putting her wet hair in a pony tail.  

"Mother's cooked up something special because you're here," she said with a grin.  "In fact, I'm probably going to be eating all of my favorite foods because you're here."  

I smiled at that.  "I thought you're mom was a horse girl and not a cook."  

She shrugged.  "Well, I'd say it's more like she's a horse mom, and the mom side of her feels the need to cook." 

We padded down the stairs, the smells getting stronger all the way.  

After a delicious breakfast of pancakes and bacon, it was out to the barn for the morning feeding.  This time, I found myself a little excited.  I wanted to go and feed them.

I dumped another portion of grain into Medallion's bowl, and like last time I spread it around with the my fingers.  The sticky feeling felt good, and the sweet smell was tantalizing.  In fact, the whole feed room smelled good.   

Flipping my fingers to get rid of the sticky grain, I picked up the bucket and went out.  The horses all watched me eagerly, as if begging me to come into their stalls and give them the bucket.  

As before, Medallion was watching.  She spotted me quickly and looked on with pricked ears as I unlatched the stall door.  "Hello," I murmured to her.  

While she didn't back up for me, she politely waited until I'd set the bucket on the floor before stepping forward.  I ran my eye over her sleek black coat and white stockings.  I had decided to try to learn how to ride Medallion.  

And maybe, while I was doing that, I could also try to learn to love another horse.  

AN:  Wow guys, you actually got a full (though short)  chapter this time which I didn't think was going to happen.  Thank you for sticking with me through these rough updating times :)  See you next Sunday!