Chapter 1

Vanessa's POV:

I bit my lip as the announcer's scratchy voice rumbled out my opponent's score. "That was Lacy Beston with The Day It Began. Her time was exactly two minutes, with four faults. That's the best round so far folks!"

The girl patted her chestnut gelding as she walked him out of the pen. I tightened my grip on the reins. I was currently sitting in second, but if I could just get a better time than her, with no more than one rail down, I could win.

I would win.

"Next up is Vanessa Ireden, riding Only First."

I shortened my reins and asked for a larger trot from Win as we went into the arena. The crowd clapped politely. Wait till you see what I can bring. Then you'll really mean it.

I spurred Win into canter and circled, rising into my half seat. Then I aimed for the first vertical.

We got our striding right and took off. I looked for the next jump, a blue oxer. We landed and I clucked to him, demanding more speed. I knew I could make it in four strides.

And we did. Immediately upon landing I began turning Win sharply. He slowed but I tapped him with my crop, commanding him he had to still go fast. It was messy but we scrambled through and made it to the jump in two strides.

And so it went. We took tight turns and made daring strides, my competitiveness throwing caution to the wind. Win was as good as gold.  We'd done this many times together.

On one combination, he faltered with the striding, and we got the second jump down. After our round I pulled him down to a walk. It all hinged on whether or not we'd been fast enough.  I was sure we had been though, probably about five seconds faster than the previous time.   

"That was Vanessa Ireden, riding Only First, with a time of 1.57 seconds and four faults, putting her in first place. That was quite a daring round!"

Hmm, slower than what I thought, but no matter. I patted Win's sweaty neck as we exited the ring.

The next rider smiled at me as she circled her horse, who was obviously quite excited, but listening to her. "Good ride," she said sincerely.

I nodded. "Thanks." I was surprised at her courtesy. "Hope yours goes just as well." I didn't mean it, but you know, I wanted to be nice.

She nodded. Just the announcer called out, "The last rider of the day folks, is Tessa Wellen riding Challenger."

My eyes followed them as they headed for the ring. I could watch their round before having to cool out Win.  I knew they wouldn't do as good as me. But that gray gelding, Challenger, caught my eye. He was muscular and fit. I liked the look of him.

Almost as soon as they entered the ring the horse focused even more on his rider.  His rider also focused. I barely saw her cue him into canter.

I stilled as I watched their round. They were smooth and neat. At one point the gray hesitated slightly and flicked an ear back to his rider, checking that she was with him. She clucked and nudged him on. Reassured, Challenger took the next jump in stride.

The further they went, the more concerned I became.  They were fast.  Too fast for my liking.  And they hadn't had one rail down.  

They landed solidly after the last jump and the rider let him walk, stroking his neck and praising him. The horse shook his head, and the crowd clapped. They could appreciate a good round when they saw it. The pair hadn't had one rail down.