CHAPTER THREE: STUCK IN THE MUD

The morning sun streamed through the thick glass, making the sheets glow in the light. She pulled them further over her head and rolled over to face the wall. She had cried herself to sleep the night before, the salt having dried on her cheeks. She could feel her face was drawn tight and puckered from her tears.

She heard Gharet move and shifted the blanket to peek through a fold, turning back over. She watched him stumble to his feet, putting a hand to the wall to steady himself. His complexion was pale, almost green, and she was afraid he was going to be sick on the floor. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened, but she wouldn't be the one to clean it.

She watched him look over at her with a dry empty look, one she couldn't read. Aurora watched him walk over to their small pantry that kept only a few things like root vegetables and things they could store that wouldn't go bad quickly.

He opened the door and took out a glass jar. In it they had a little milk left. She watched as she downed all of it and put down the glass once he had drained it. He turned and looked at the bed where her form lay curled under the beige blanket.

"Where is breakfast?" she heard him ask. His voice was rough from how much he'd drunk the night before. He cleared his throat and continued to stare at her with a hard look now.

She remained still, pretending she was asleep and hoping he would just leave. But he didn't and instead he moved over to the bed and sat down. The mattress sank under his weight, and she bumped into him at the deep dip of the bed. She caught herself allowing him to see she was awake.

"Did something happen to you?" he asked and reached forward to touch her cheek. She leaned back out of his reach, and he frowned. "What's wrong with you?"

"What's wrong with me? What about you? Why would you think I would make you anything after last night?"

Gharet looked taken aback for a moment but regained his composure and his face scrunched.

"Just make the breakfast and we'll forget what happened last night," he said and stood.

"No."

He turned around and stared at her.

"You've always had this stubborn streak in you." His mouth curled in an unpleasant way. "Just do what I say, remember, I'm the one who takes care of things," he said.

"You know, you're right Gharet," Aurora said putting a hand up.

"Why are you giving me attitude? I haven't done anything wrong?" Gharet said his voice raising.

Aurora exhaled loudly but didn't say anything.

"What?" he said throwing his hands out to both sides.

"Nothing."

"Tell me!" Gharet growled. "I hate when you do that. I want to know what bothers you," he said.

"You, Gharet. You bother me!" she said and turned around on the bed to face away from him. "Please, just go."

"I expect breakfast when I return, I am heading out to prayer," she heard him say and then the door shut behind him.

She looked down at the mattress and crumpled the sheets. Going off to prayer, Gharet would only be there for about fifteen minutes. He never stayed for the full sermon which would normally go for over an hour.

Thinking on Gharet going to prayer made her think of the tarlse in the space above. She had brought the broken box down with the contents inside. She hoped she could sell the book at least for a good price. Aurora went over to the bed and moving a few things aside that were beneath the bed she pulled out the broken box. She wanted to take a look at how much was actually in the little pouch. She'd been so down when the last bell's ring echoed into the countryside she had just scooped everything up and got down from the space in the ceiling. She'd pushed the table and chair back and then proceeded to sit on the edge of the bed for a time before lying down.