CHAPTER ELEVEN: A NIGHT NEVER FORGOTTEN

One hour before...

Gharet strode into the Thoro with purpose at first but the further in the shorter his steps became and the smaller he felt. Once he got into the large room in the back he stopped in the doorway between the wide hall and the room. He looked around for the one he was seeking before he entered the large room and feeling no bigger than an ant.

He spotted the holy sankt who led the prayers and worship and headed for him. Walking up the isle he felt the immensity of the room but he moved his feet quicker and reached the holy sankt.

"Excuse me?" Gharet called and the holy sankt turned to face him.

"Hello, brother, does something trouble you?" he asked.

"Yes, holiness," Gharet said. "My wife, she is unwell," he pointed to his head. "Her mind is sick."

The holy sankt put down the things in his hands he had been rearranging before Gharet walked up to him.

"Oh, dear," the holy sankt's eyes widened.

"She has run away from and is now lying to nobles about me. They were shielding her from allowing me to take her home. I need your help to return my unwell wife to me. Please!" he begged. If the holy sankt didn't believe him he was ready to go to lengths for her to be returned to him. He'd even drop to his knees and beg the man. Aurora needed a lesson but first she would be returned to him.

The holy sankt looked at him for a good few minutes, not saying a word. Gharet started to drop to a knee when the holy sankt reached out a hand to his shoulder stopping him.

"No need, brother. We will help you," he said. "First I need to know which noble is she staying with?"

"Friends of the royal house, the Sterlings."

The holy sankt nodded and Gharet grinned. A hideous toothy grin as he formed a plan to get back at Aurora.

*****

The sun was dipping below the horizon when they left the manor and shadows streaked across the grounds as they passed the gates. It didn't take hem long before they were rolling through the city up to the castle.

She watched through the window, using a finger to pink behind the little purple curtain. The castle dwarfed the Sterling Estate. Giant towers reached for the sky, touching the last pinks and blues of the day. Tall windows covered the grey stone walls, most with candles in the windows to give the castle a more welcoming look in the darkening evening.

The carriage slowed and she fixed herself to get out when Evander stopped her.

"We're not quite there yet. Someone will open the door for us once we've reached the entry. There's always a line as all the noble houses arrive and each of the family exits their carriage. We'll be here for a little bit longer."

"Oh, alright," she mumbled and looked back out the window. She leaned in close almost banging her head against the glass to see the line of all types of carriages. Some were closed like the one she and Evander were in. Some were open. And some were even smaller, where they could only fit two or three people on the one seat. She looked around the carriage they were in and while it would be cramped they could easily fit more people inside. It just showed again how wealthy Evander was.

The carriage inched along and finally after what she imagined was almost twenty minutes the carriage came to another stop and the door opened.

"A hand madam?" a voice from outside the carriage said and she looked to find a footman waiting to help her down.

"Thank you," she said and stepped out. Right behind her came Evander. She got the feeling he'd gotten very impatient from being in the small space as they had crawled to the door.