Prologue

The train screeched and began to slow down. We were reaching the next stop soon.

The old woman sitting at my seat smiled apologetically at me as I clung to the strap above me. The lights began to flicker on and off.

“Don’t worry,” I said to her with a reassuring smile. I had to respect my elders.

The train stopped abruptly. We jerked forward. Someone shoved me. My glasses fell to the ground.

“Sorry,” was all he said. My vision became blurry. I knelt to the ground to blindly search for them.

 A hand grabbed mine.

“These must be yours,” he said to me. I felt the object in my hand. I wore the glasses and saw a handsome man before me. I noticed the suit.

“Thank you,” I smiled. His eyes were dark under the flickering lights.

“Say, you’re quite beautiful,” he showed a set of perfect teeth. “What’s your name?”

“June.”

The passengers’ confusion became more evident to the point that it started to affect me too. I never usually cared.

“I’ll be right back.” I had to do something.

I made my way to the front of the train. The passengers needed answers for the sudden halt of the train in the middle of the tunnel.

The lights stopped flickering. It was pitch black. I searched for my cell phone and turned on the flashlight. I reached the front of the train.

“Hey,” I knocked on the operator’s door. “What’s the problem? Why did we stop?”

There was no response.

“Hello?” I opened the door and froze. The operator had his head against the controls. It was irritating. “Hey! What the hell?” I tapped his shoulder. His body fell sideways to the ground. His head remained on the controls. Blood oozed onto the chair.

I turned to the back of the train. I wondered if a passenger could drive the train.

I slowly made my way back to where I was standing before. I hit my foot against something. I aimed the flashlight downwards. I saw a body lying on the ground.

I did not have time for this. I had exams soon.

The lights began to flicker again. The scent of blood entered my nose. There was blood everywhere. There were dead bodies everywhere. And there was a man in a suit standing and staring at me.

His eyes had darkened even more. His perfect teeth had transformed into sharp, blood-stained spikes. His perfect suit was ruined.

“June,” he said to me. His smile widened. I took a step back and tripped on a body. I landed on the ground.

“I don’t want to die,” I did not plead. I merely stated what was on my mind.

He walked over the bodies on the ground until he reached me.

“Is that so?” he knelt down in front of me.

I felt a sharp stab against my chest. I felt the blood rise up my throat. I coughed it out of my mouth as he stared with a wide smile on his face.

Everything went black.