4

The janitor found Matthew’s body. They claimed it a suicide.

Our university hosted another memorial service. The weather was very windy.

I found a quiet corner in the library and sat down in an attempt to read. I had exhausted my black heart with all the unnecessary pity. My heart beat finally became normal.

Someone nudged me from the side.

“Hey, you,” he said. I looked at Andrew as he sat down beside me. “Where have you been?”

“I’ve been around.” I focused on my book again.

“No, seriously. The last time you were in the library was last week. It was the last time I saw you and it ended on bad terms. I think.”

“I didn’t realize. I guess I was busy.”

“Were you avoiding me?” I looked at him. He had his eyes on me and I could not tell whether he was pissed or not.

“Why would I avoid you?” I smirked. “We barely even know each other.”

He seemed taken aback by my smirk. “I felt like I crossed the line last time.”

“I guess you might have,” I pretended to try and remember. The truth was I could never forget it. “I can’t really recall.”

Andrew stared intently at me. I turned to my book. Something was definitely wrong. I never turned away from a guy’s stare. This was seriously wrong. He was seriously wrong.

“So you’re saying you don’t really remember what I did to cross the line.”

I shook my head. I could not look at him again. I could feel his stare on me.

“Do you want me to refresh your memory?”

Before I could reply, I felt his hot breath against my ear.

“You’re an amazing liar, June,” he whispered. I jerked in surprise and immediately tried to shove him away. His hand quickly tightened around my wrist.

“Let go.” Andrew made me react. He caused a reaction out of me. It pissed me off.

“You were avoiding me, weren’t you?”

“Why would I avoid you over something so trivial?” I yanked my arm away but he caught it again and pinned it against the wall behind me.

“It doesn’t seem trivial to you.”

“And why do you care?” I snapped.  I had lost my cool. He looked surprised.

“I’m just curious.”

“Curious about what?” I snapped again. I had powers. I could use them. But I didn’t.

Andrew had gotten closer to me. His face was inches away from mine.

“About how much of a reaction I can get out of you.”

I pressed my free hand against his chest before he could get any closer.

“You better stop now, Andrew.” I said. “Do you even realize what you’re doing? Your girlfriend just died and you’re trying to do who knows what to someone you just met.”

It really pissed me off.

“You’re assuming things about me too, you know.” He gently let go of my hand. “Even though my assumption about you was a little extreme, I was right. Get your facts straight. Ella and I broke up a year ago. She was sick. She knew she was going to die.”