1

I could hear the beeping sounds of the machine. I could hear the voices of the people around me.

The beeping sounds increased in pace.

I opened my eyes. The sound of gasps filled the room. I sat up quickly, pulling the tubes connected to my arms with me. The beeping intensified.

"W-Where am I?" I could barely breathe. My chest felt constricted.

"You're at the hospital. Your name is June, right?" a man approached me cautiously. I nodded slowly. "You have to take it easy, alright? Take deep breaths or else your heart rate will increase even more. Please, calm down."

"I am calm." I looked around the room. I looked around almost frantically. My hands shook uncontrollably.

"Do you remember what happened?" he asked. I shook my head. "You were found underground two days ago. You were on a train that stopped suddenly in the middle of the tunnel. Rescuers managed to get into the train. They found you lying on the ground, unconscious."

My chest began to hurt. I grabbed hold of the sterilized clothing covering it.

"T-That's not possible."

"You were the only survivor of a massacre, June. Everyone on the train was murdered except you."

"N-No, this can't be right. I'm supposed to be dead." I pressed my hand against my chest. I looked into my clothing. There were no marks on my chest. "N-No, what the fuck is this? H-He stabbed me right here..."

"June, please calm down. Your heart rate is increasing again."

"Fuck my heart rate! Can't you see what's happening here? It's not possible to be the only survivor of a bloody massacre when there was no way to escape the train!"

"We know," the man said. "That's why you're a suspect."

"I'm a...what?"

"You're suspected of killing all the passengers."

"No, there was a man...I'm telling you...you have to believe me...he was wearing...a...a...suit...he was..."

"You have to contact your family. How old are you?"

"Huh?" I instinctively brought a hand up to straighten my glasses. My glasses were not there. I could see the man clearly. "W-Where are my glasses?"

"How old are you, June?" the man asked more sternly.

"I'm, uh, 19," I looked around the room. "It wasn't me. I swear it...the man...in the suit..." I tugged against the tubes. "He's coming for me..." I felt strangely frantic again. "He's coming to kill me...He..."

"This must be your cell phone. The rescuers found it next to you. Please contact your family." The man handed me my phone. "The police are coming to see you for questioning."

***

Something felt off. The police watched me with curious eyes. The machine was placed on the table between us.

"So, how are you feeling, June?" one policeman asked.

"Could be better," my chest felt tight again. I let out a slight cough.

"Okay, June, we're going to connect these wires to your forehead and skin, monitor your blood pressure and heart rate while we ask you a few questions, alright?"

I nodded. Something felt off. Something felt off with me.

The policeman switched the machine on. The wires were placed on my forehead and skin. Electrodes were placed on my chest. The sphygmomanometer was wrapped around my arm.