7

I waited for her to storm out of the room and slam the door behind her. But she didn’t. She stared at me, the fear obvious on her face even though she tried so desperately to hide it.

“You’re scared of me, right?” I asked. “Go on. Admit it.”

She did not answer me.

“I can tear your head off, damn it! Answer me!”

“You are mad at me, aren’t you?” her voice was low.

“Mad…” I chuckled slightly. Her question made me angry. “I’m not fucking mad at you, Skye! I’m fucking hurt!”

Skye stared at the ground.

“I never…” her voice trailed off.

“You never expected me to get hurt, right? Because I’m not the type to have feelings, right?” I grabbed her arm so she could actually look at me. “Well, guess what? I’m not an emotionless robot last time I checked!”

“I’m sorry…I’m back now…I’m not leaving anymore,” she said softly.

My eyes stung. “If Andrew hadn’t called you, you probably wouldn’t have come back,” it hurt to say it but it was the truth.

“I was already planning to come back.”

“No, you weren’t! And you should imagine what happened to me after thinking that you weren’t gonna talk to me again!”

“I didn’t know it affected you this much!”

“It fucking did! I fucking opened up to you!” And that was when I realized just how much she affected me, how much of a reaction she got out of me.

I bothered about her so much that it fucking pissed me off.

I didn’t understand why I hated the fact that I cared about someone other than my brother.  

“Well, you should imagine how I felt after finding out something like that.”

 “It’s not like I chose this for myself,” I protested. “I feel fucking bad for all the souls that I took but I don’t have a choice.”

“So you’re just gonna keep doing that? That’s not right at all, June!”

“What do you expect me to do then?”

“I want to help you. I really do. But the only thing I can tell you now is to stop this. Stop this now before it gets worse.”

She did not realize that it already did. She did not realize that if I stopped, something bad would happen to me.

“I can’t stop this, Skye.”

“You know what? You were right before. I am scared of you. I’m scared that one day you’d take my soul and kill me.”

“I’d never do that to you.”

“You never know.”

“Thanks for trusting me, Skye. I really appreciate that.”

“I’m just saying this because I want to help you, June. Stop this madness and you can be free.”

“You want me to stop doing what I’m doing in order to save myself from being killed by him? Will that make you happy?”

She did not answer.

“If I stop consuming souls, will you be happy?”

“Would you stop doing that if I asked you to?”