5

I woke up and found myself on the floor of the kitchen. The sun had barely started rising. I slowly sat up, confused.

My clothes were stained with blood. My hands were stained with blood. My hair was matted with sweat and blood. I had never felt so disgusted.

I had never felt so disgusted and refreshed.

I stood up. The energy coursed through me. I had somehow gained energy overnight.

I entered my room. Skye, still asleep, did not stir even when I grabbed some clothes from the closet. I went to the bathroom and took a very cold shower.

The man in the suit stood waiting outside my building when I got out.

“My, my, someone had a party last night,” he said.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Well, you will now,” his hand was on my chest. He started to take souls. There were so many souls. It was unbearable. I fell to my knees in pain. “I took half of all the souls yet you still have so much. You went on a bloody killing spree last night.”

No. Fuck, no. I was an idiot. I was going to get caught.

“I helped you out. Since you were more obedient this time, I decided to help you out,” he grabbed my wrist. “And you are shaking. Did it hurt this time?”

“N-No,” I forced out. Fuck, it hurt. It hurt so bad that my body writhed in extreme agony.

“Don’t worry about the bodies. I took care of them. You have a nice day now.”

I pressed a hand against my chest and took in deep breaths. My heart – although tortured – never felt so alive.

***

People stared at me. It must have been the energizing aura I gave off. People could not stop staring.

It was lunchtime when Skye finally got a hold of me. She slammed her hands on the table I was occupying in the cafeteria and glared at me with so much anger. She expressed so much emotion and I wondered how she did it.

“I passed out in the kitchen,” I said before she could snap.

“People are staring at you, June. You’ve changed even more than before. What did you do last night?”

“I told you I passed out in the kitchen,” I sighed and eyed the food in front of me.

“Fuck your stupid lies!” she yelled so loudly that it silenced the room.

I got up, pissed that I could not have lunch in peace, grabbed Skye by the wrist and dragged her out of the cafeteria. I took her to the garden outside.

“What is going on, Skye?”

“Are you seriously asking me that?” she snapped. “Are you fucking serious, June? You’re hiding things from me! When did I stop being trustworthy?”

“I’m not hiding anything from you,” I tried to stay calm. Skye’s curiosity about me was going to drive me crazy. “We live together so if I were keeping something from you, you would’ve found out by now.”

“Oh, that’s why I’m here,” she had a look on her face that almost made me panic. She looked almost triumphant.

“Skye, you really make me laugh sometimes,” I told her. “I’m hungry so let’s go back inside. My food’s probably cold by now.” I turned to head back inside.

“I saw your bloody clothes in your laundry basket,” she interrupted.

I froze then. I froze. I froze in shock. I froze in anger.