2

June…

I tried to open my heavy eyelids.

“June…” I saw the blurry figure of someone hovering over me.

I forced my eyes open.

“Hey, June…How are you feeling?” Skye asked.

“I’m fine, thanks to you.”

“What do you mean?”

“Didn’t you hear me calling you last night? I practically yelled out your name.” I sat up. Skye was frowning at me. “Someone tried to kill me last night. I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t sleep through something like that.”

Skye placed a hand on my forehead. “You have a fever.” She ran a hand through her hair. “You woke me up last night. You were shaking and sweating and it looked like you couldn’t breathe. I tried to wake you up but you didn’t respond to me. In the end, you just stopped.”

“I’m hungry.” I got out of bed.

“Hey, you’re sick. I’ll make you breakfast.”

“No, it’s fine. Someone’s making pancakes in the kitchen.” I wore a sweater. Skye was staring at me in confusion. “What’s wrong?”

“No one’s making pancakes, June.”

“What? That’s impossible. Can’t you smell the pancakes? The scent is everywhere!” I walked to the door and held the handle. I paused when I saw something on my wrist. I saw a little black cut across my wrist. That bitch from last night left a fucking mark on me.

I groaned angrily and headed to the kitchen on our floor.

The kitchen was empty.

I could smell the pancakes.

I descended to the 1st floor. We were on the 10th. Skye followed me anxiously.

Two girls were eating pancakes.

“How did you know?” Skye asked. I smiled greedily and went to help myself to some pancakes. I forgot Skye’s question. I forgot the fact that she sounded slightly scared.

***

I opened the door and entered the classroom. The professor stopped talking. My entrance triggered hushed whispers from my peers.

“Ms. Halls,” the professor said. “I hope you’re okay.”

“I’m fine, as you can see,” I sat at the back of the class. The professor continued the lecture. I took out my notebook and pen.

Someone nudged me from the side.

“Is it true?” she asked. I looked at Nelly. Her heart was beating fast. She was excited. “Were you on the train when the massacre happened?”

I smirked.

“Holy shit, you were!” she whispered loudly.

“Give me gum.”

“What?” she asked. “I don’t have gum.”

“Yes, you do. You have apple-flavored gum. It’s in your bag.”

Nelly frowned and checked her bag. Eventually, her hand came back out with one stick of apple-flavored gum, almost squashed.

“Ha, nice trick you did there, June,” she sounded hesitant. I turned to face the front of the class and froze. The pen I was holding escaped my grasp and fell to the floor.

My heart. My heart was hurting. My heart was going to burst. I could feel it.

June…

He’s here to kill me. He’s here…to kill me. The man in the suit, standing at the front of the class, next to the professor, is here to kill me.