9

The bright light faded. It took me a few seconds for my eyes to adjust.

I was still on my knees before Skye's bed. On the floor beside me, the man in the suit was lying down attempting to untie the black ropes around him.

"W-What's going on?" I looked at the entrance of the hospital room and saw Andrew and another man standing there.

"June," Andrew said, his eyes staring worriedly at me. "Are you okay?"

"N-Never better..." I tried to stand up. I only managed to get to Skye's bed before losing my balance. "C-Can someone explain what just happened?"

The man next to Andrew approached me. He wore a suit. Another man in a suit approached me.

"Hello, June," he extended his hand towards me. "My name's Michael. I'd just like to thank you for doing the right thing."

"W-What?" I asked.

He pressed a hand against my wound and I winced in pain.

"This is only temporary healing," he replied. I did not understand what he meant. "I'm glad that Andrew sent you the message earlier today."

"What message?"

"He gave you hope that you could save your friend. He asked you if you wanted to repent."

I stared at Andrew. "You...W-What...?"

Andrew sighed. "When Ella died, I had gotten so depressed to a point that I tried to kill myself. He happened to stop me and blamed me for not appreciating the fact that I was still alive. He made me have a purpose. He made me set souls free before..."

"So you found out about me..."

"I did, yeah," he replied. "I found out after the funeral, after you came to pay your respects. I was completely aware of what you were when I met you in the library." Michael approached the man in the suit, tied on the floor.

"You know I killed Ella," I told him. "You know I killed a lot of people."

"But you're repenting now. You can set them free by doing a good deed. After that, we can all go back to normal."

Michael bent down in front of the man in the suit.

"Fuck you...Fuck you..." the man in the suit tried to breathe.

"June, in this world, we have good people and bad people. You are a good person deep down but you fell into a bad person's trap. Andrew is a good person and was lucky enough to be saved by me. Sometimes..."

"Bad things happen to good people, right." I interrupted him.

He smiled at me. "Exactly." He pressed a hand against the man in the suit's chest. "Since he tried to drain you too, you did not consume the souls from him properly." He did to the man in the suit what he had been doing to me to collect half of the souls. When Michael was done, he transferred them to me. "It's up to you now to set them free, June. Are you willing to do that?"

I glanced at Skye. "Yeah, I am."

"You do know what happens after, right?"

"Yeah, I lose my powers," I turned to face Skye.

The man in the suit laughed. He laughed weakly but like a lunatic.

"You are such a fucking idiot, June."

I ignored him.

"Michael knows this! I know this! Even your precious Andrew knows this! You give up your powers and you are gonna fucking die!"