Chapter 1.

Ellie

I open the glass door and stride into the mall. I head straight for the first store on my right. Half walking-half running.

I have just one minute to walk in, buy what I need and get back to the car before my dad goes all hulk on me.

I mean, my dad has been moody the entire week and that's not like him. Usually he's the most jolly human being on earth with a smile that touches his eyes, beaming with a great light that can only be God but not today.

I don't blame him because clearly, it's all my fault. Despite all the countless times he told me yesterday that we were leaving early this morning, I still forgot to pack, slept late and ofcourse woke up late today.

But technically, I blame Natalia, my best friend. Girl got me to watch a whole new series in twenty four hours, claiming I had all the time in the world to pack.

In trying to shower, dress up and pack all my stuff, it skipped my mind that I was supposed to pack tampons since I am going to be away for a whole month or so, for what my dad calls a family reunion.

I smile at the girl at the counter and make my way through one of the aisles. Luckily, my eyes land on what am looking for almost immediately. In a rush, I grab one packet and turn to go back to the counter. The next thing I know, I bump into something probably a pillar.

I hear something hit the ground with a loud shatter. When I look down, the pieces of a wine glass bottle are scattered all over in a pool of red wine .

Oh boy! My skirt has dark red spot on it. The wine must have splashed on it. And to think that today is one of those days I decide to wear a skirt.

A white skirt.

The sound of someone clearing their throat snaps me out of my thoughts. I look up and there is someone standing right in front of me.
Oh, so I didn't knock a pillar, I knocked a guy. Great!

Hmm... dark brown hair. Blue eyes- really blue eyes, his eyes are exactly what blue should look like. Tall-probably a few years older than I am. He is wearing a smile on his face and holding two other wine bottles in his left hand. I notice a small silver cross pendant handing around his neck.

"You are paying for that," he says, nodding at the mess below us. It's not a question. The smile is replaced by a smirk. I stare at him dumbfounded and his smirk widens.

"No, am not," I respond. "It's not my fault..."

"You knocked me," he cuts me short, lifting the other two bottles closer to my face as proof.

" You were in my way," I argue back. I can hear the pride in my tone. I know it's wrong but there's no way l am spending a cent on this guy.

"Wow" he scoffs in disbelief. He looks up for a split second mummers something I can't hear then looks back at me. " Fine, we'll spilt it."

I nod and walk past him to the counter only to find at least a dozen of people lining up to pay. This is really not my day, is it? First, I wake up late, then I can't do proper packing and now this guy is standing right behind me ready to make me pay for half a bottle of wine. Ugh! I don't even take wine, forget that am 16.
Can this get any worse?

"Complaining never gets you anyway, Ellie," I can here my mum's voice in my head.

I stop mid thought when someone at back of the line gasps. Then I notice that everyone seems to be staring at me...with pity. What's wrong with me ? What did I do?

Is it because of the mess we left down the aisle or what? If it's that, then why aren't they staring at this guy I broke the bottle with, whatever his name is?

I turn behind to face him, my face full of questions and he laughs as though I said something funny. That's annoying because I feel like an idiot right now.

"What?" I ask. I can hear the rage in my own voice. "Why is everyone staring at me?"

He folds his hands across his chest and scans me with his eyes, head to toe. I can see there's humor in his ocean blue eyes and I feel really uncomfortable.

He looks at the people around us then leans over and whispers in my ear.

" What would you think if you saw a girl, with a red mark on her skirt and a packet of tampons in her hand?"

He pulls back and leans against the counter to stare at my face as I put two and two together and then bursts into a small chuckle when my face registers confusion then shock.

I freeze, my cheeks burn in shame and suddenly, my palms feel sweaty. I have never been this humiliated in my life . It's all his fault.

Oh My God! Everyone thinks am having my period. No wonder they are all looking at me like that. For crying out loud, the mark is on the front of my skirt not the back. Why can't people think of that?

I am starting to panic. How am I going to walk out of here? What if someone gets a video of me? I can't be surprised with how messed up people in my generation are. To make matters worse, I left my sweater in the car.

"Let me make you a deal," the guy speaks again," I will let you have my jacket."

I don't respond to that knowing that he hasn't finished his sentence. A playful grin creeps on his face.

"In return, you just have to pay for the full bottle," he finishes.

I am about to tell him to go to hell but I realize that I really don't have any other options and considering how masculine he looks like, his leather jacket is definitely big enough.

" Fine," I sigh in defeat. He smiles and takes off his jacket and gives it to me. I tie it around my waist and zip it up. The fact that he thinks this is funny is annoying me pretty bad.

I cut the line and just walk straight to the attendant at the counter. If everyone thinks am having my period, I might as well use that as an excuse to cut in line and get out of here.

I pay for the tampons and the stupid bottle of wine and without looking back, I head straight for the door. I halt when I here my phone ring. I look at the caller ID.

Dad

Am in big trouble. I have spent more than twenty minutes in this place. I push the door open.

" Goodbye, beautiful." It's the last sentence I hear before I slam the door shut.

" It's the last sentence I hear before I slam the door shut