8. "i cannot wait to see your mother tonight, jack."

~ ALEX ~

Plane trips were always boring. 

I mean, don't get me wrong, an hour and twenty minutes on a plane is the equivalent of taking a shower and eating dinner, but I'd much rather drive down to Baltimore on our tour bus. Planes have too many rules, and if you're too loud - which I always was -, you could count on at least three elderly people shushing you. And elderly people intimidate me, so I always end up staying silent for the majority of the trip. 

I had to say, I was expecting Erika to show up at our show. From what she wrote in her letter, our music was very important to her. So her noticeable absence made me realize that the worse really had happened. I hadn't been able to save her. 

"You look depressed," Jack pointed out. Sometimes it angered me how insensitive he was, but then again, he was Jack. 

"Well spotted, genius." 

"Cheer the fuck up, we're going to Baltimore!"

"Watch your language, young man," an elder spat (quite literally) through his dentures. I bit back a laugh and Jack's face turned a dark shade of crimson.

Probably the same color as the blood that spilled out of Erika's veins that eventful night last year. 

Stop, Alex, I told myself. Just stop.

It took me three seconds to realize I'd said it out loud. 

"Stop what?" Jack asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Nothing," I lied. 

"You've been acting weird lately, it's creeping me out. You'll get to see Erika soon, I know you will." 

And the sincere grin on his face told me this was more than just an inference. It was a promise. 

+++

~ RIAN ~

"Home sweet home," Alex sighed as he turned the key to our house. We were finally back in Baltimore. 

"I seriously cannot wait till tomorrow night," said Jack. 

"I cannot wait to see your mother tonight, Jack," Alex snickered, and Zack burst out laughing. 

"How mature of you," Jack said, his eyes narrowed. 

"Jack, can I talk to you for a bit?" I asked him. The look he shot me proved he knew what the topic of conversation will be. I dragged him to my bedroom at Alex and my house.

"What about her?" he inquired as soon as I shut the door.

"She should be in town by tonight, and I wanna clear everything up before we drag her on stage. We can't have her be as surprised as Alex, that would ruin the show. Plus, Flyzik's following our orders, how's that for a plot twist?" 

"Brilliant, but how on Earth can Flyzik help us in this particular situation?" 

"Remind me again why I chose to plot with you, and not Zack?" I said, rolling my eyes. I then proceeded to explain the whole plan to him. 

"Did you think all that up on your own?" Jack asked when I was done. 

"Of course I did, Jack. You haven't been much help, have you?" 

"I'm impressed," he nodded his head in admiration. 

"Thank you," I replied, taking a sarcastic bow. "I'm the brains, you're the executor. You have all day to figure out what you're going to say before you pull Erika onto the stage. Meanwhile, I'm going to visit my family and then go Erika hunting." 

"Is Cassadee in town?" he asked. I nodded. 

"Then spare us all the 'I didn't get to spend enough time with Cass' drama and spend the day with her, and leave Erika hunting to me."

I wrote down Erika's Twitter for him, and gave him a grateful hug. "Thanks, man. Just don't scare her off."

"I'll try not to. Use protection!" 

"Yeah, yeah," I waved my hand and dismissed his immature remark. 

"What was that about?" Alex asked.

"Nothing. I'm off to see Cass, leave the key where you usually do."

And with that, I closed the front door and left the house. 

+++

~ ERIKA ~

"Man, I love this city," I announced as we walked into the club. It was small and cozy, but had everything I needed to entertain myself. And to top it all off, in less than 24 hours, I would get to see All Time Low live again. 

"It's pretty cool, but nothing compares to the glamour of New York City," Freddie said. 

"That's because you were born here. People are prone to dislike the places they're born in." 

"I guess that's why I moved to America, then," Dylan pointed out. 

"Why did you move to America?" I asked him.

"Oh," he muttered, his eyes wide. "I don't remember." 

"Sure you don't," Freddie said sceptically, rolling his eyes.

"You know what, whatever. Can we get wasted now?" I asked dismissively, making a note to ask Dylan if Freddie knew something I didn't. 

"Yes, we can," Freddie replied, and we walked towards the bar. "I could really do with some tequila right now." 

"Right on," Dylan said as he ordered a tray of shots. 

"Okay, let's make a game out of it then," I suggested. "Whoever does the most shots gets to..."

"Throw up all night," Dylan finished my sentence. 

"Pretty much. But I was thinking the person should also get to pick where we go tomorrow." 

"Fair enough, let's go with that. Ready?"

"3... 2... 1... Go!"

I tipped a few too many shot glasses - enough for my vision to get blurry and to cause what felt like third degree burns all the way down my throat - until I looked at the tray and they were all empty. 

"Okay, let's count," Freddie announced, slurring. He did five, Dylan did four, and I did seven. 

"Holy shit that was fun, can we do it again?" I said, giggling.

"You fit in quite well with the fraternity crew, don't you, dear?" Dylan uttered sarcastically. 

"You guys are all in a frat together?" I asked. I had no idea. 

"Yes, love, we are."

"Brilliant. Let's drink to that," I slurred slightly, and turned to the bartender. "Can we have three vodka tonics, please?" 

He handed us the drinks and we raised our glasses.

"Cheers," Dylan said, and we downed our drinks. 

Tonight was going to be a good night, I could feel it. 

 +++

A few more drinks and lots of dancing later, we decided to head over to the mezzanine of the pub, where there were surprisingly no guards, and, unsurprisingly, lots of people getting it on. 

"Should've seen that one coming," Freddie said, rolling his eyes. Dylan, on the other hand, was doing everything he could to catch a glimpse of each and every pair of boobs in the room.

"Freddie," I started. "You're drunk and you're a guy. What are you waiting for?" 

"Erika, darling, I'm gay."

"Wait, what? No way! You're..." I started shaking his shoulders when I realized he was serious. "WHAT A GLORIOUS DAY, I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED A GAY FR-"

"Erika Parker, is that you?" I heard a voice say. I turned around in confusion, only to find the one and only Jack Barakat standing before me.