Chapter 25

Luke POV

I just stood there not knowing what to do or say as Joe walked out of the room and all that was left was a deafening silence. All of a sudden I was finding it hard to breath and it didn’t help due to the amount of people present in the room.

I don’t think his words had registered in her mums mind as she just stood there staring at the space her son was occupying not so long ago. I turned towards the doorway because I say a slight movement and there he stood – Max.

I was frozen in place

He didn’t look happy and I could see from the anger in his face that he’d heard the whole exchange.

I’d always known that Max was very protective of Joe since during our school days. He’d always been ready to give back the punches that Joe received at school even if it meant him getting battered – that was how far their friendship went. I could see now the big brother act cripping up in his face and I knew he was going to blow at any given second.

I deserved what was going to come next.

The next thing I knew I was laid flat my back on the dining room table and the utensils already setup for lunch came crashing on the floor. The sounds of broken of plates filled my ears and that was the call which was needed for Claire to wake up from her trace.

She screamed at Max but I knew straightaway it was definitely pointless.

Max had sniped – just like ten years ago.

“Can’t you leave him the hell alone! Don’t you think you’ve done enough harm to him? He doesn’t deserve this!” he spat in my face.

I just laid there frozen because there was nothing I could say. The only thing running through my head was I was trying to heart him. I loved him and there was no way I was going to hurt him as I did before. But I knew to shut up.

I knew at that second if I opened my mouth things could get more out of hand. Max wasn’t going to listen to anything I’ve got to say never mind take it serious – and  I wouldn’t blame him one bit.

But then I could clearly see that my silence was irritating him as much as my words would have. As soon as I saw a smile graze his face, I knew things were exactly going to go nasty whether I wanted it to or not.

The next think I felt was a boll to my face from him punching me and I immediately recalled on myself… then he spat the words.

“You’re the reason he nearly died…the reason I nearly lost my best friend so what do you want from?! Want to kill actually kill him this time!!”

The venom in his voice was soul piercing but that was what was going through my heard. It was the fact I nearly killed him that was ringing in my heard

How?

And that’s when I heard the gasps.

From Claire… but most importantly the voice from the doorway.

Joseph.