Chapter One :: Kyte

Her first memory was before her life even began, when she was inside her odd-colored egg.

     She opened her soft, golden eyes, seeing almost nothing. There was faint light filtering through her eggshell into the darkness. She pressed her talon against the light side of her egg. It was warm; she liked the warmth and decided to leave the darkness because of it. She smiled as she shoved at the eggshell walls harder.

     She had always been an intelligent dragonet. Once she hatched, she could instantly tell that neither dragon in the cold cave before her loved her. They didn't want her.

     Later in her life she learned to be grateful that these dragons hadn't killed her as soon as her egg was laid, but all she knew at the moment was confusion.

     These were the only dragons she knew, and they loathed her for practically no reason.

     As she looked up at the tall dragons, one a maroon-red and the other sand-yellow, she let out a cautious squeak. They glared at her, for her birth meant their time and effort had to be spent on something extra. They were two reckless lovers, not wanting the burden of raising a child. Hell, they weren't even married.

     She blinked, attempting to stand up. It wasn't easy; she kept loosing balance and flopping over. Her parents each raised an eyebrow.

    "Do we have to name her?" her mother, the grumpy maroon SkyWing, asked, turning to look at the SandWing.

    "How about Kite," her father offered.

    "Spelled with a 'y'," her mother countered, smoke curling from her nostrils.

    "K-k-aye-te. Kyte," Kyte mimicked, content with her name. Her father snorted a puff of smoke, impressed that she could pronounce words straight out of the egg. Her mother turned away indignantly.

    "Come on Sparky, let's go out," she said, proceeding to walk out of the cave's door. Spark glanced at Kyte once more before shrugging and following the maroon SkyWing.

    "Whatever you say, Star."

     Kyte watched helplessly as her parents abandoned her in that cave. This was only the first time, though. In the future, they would do this often on as she grew up, and, as a result, she had to learn to survive on her own. Spark and Starling barely noticed her, let alone cared for her.

     She was often just sent outside to play, even though she was only a hatchling. The other dragonets in her neighborhood would taunt and tease her for looking different, and no matter how many dragons she consulted, or how many times she complained to them, nothing changed.

     Kyte sighed, lying down on the cold stone floor. It was going to be a hard life for her, but this was only the beginning...