Chapter Six :: Mightyroar

Mightyroar cautiously padded into his and Fierceteeth's cave.

    "Mother?" he called, flicking his tail. She answered him with a raspy voice, "Mightyroar? What is it?" She hadn't had many dragons to talk to since Mightyroar had spent most of his time with his only friends RedRunner and Feather. Their school was practically next to Mightyroar's home.

    "I wanted to ask you something," he admitted hesitantly. Her mind stirred with slight curiosity. He padded over to where she sat, staring at a questionably stained scroll with odd scribbles on it.

    "Just look at it, my son," she ordered, grabbing him suddenly, pointing to the scroll. He glanced at it then her with a confused expression.

    "I- don't get it," he stammered. Oh, you'll get it later.. his mother thought ominously.

    "Oh well, now about that question?" she asked, glancing at him with bloodshot eyes. She hasn't been sleeping again, Mightyroar noted.

    "Anyway, I wanted to ask you if I could go on a field trip with the nearby school to the Rai-"

    "NO!" Fierceteeth snarled, cutting him off. Mightyroar flinched at the ferocity of her thoughts and expression. Her slate-blue eyes burned with fires of rage and regret, and memories of the lush, green place flashed in her mind.

     The black and purple shifted on his talons, uncomfortable since his mother was still grabbing his arm. She let go, looking down and away.

    "Sorry I snapped, it's just.. that Glory dragon becoming the RainWing and NightWing Queen is what caused me, your father, and one of our friends, Preyhunter, to go on that journey to the Scorpion Den," she admitted, clenching her talons and squeezing her eyes shut. Mightyroar's frown deepened.

    "I- I'm sorry Mother, I.. didn't know that.." Mightyroar replied sorrowfully. He felt a slight bit of hatred toward Queen Glory now, even though he'd never met her.

     He blinked, snapping out of his thoughts. He still wanted to go on the field trip with RedRunner and Feather, though. They were his only friends and practically the first dragons outside of his and Fierceteeth's secret cave that he ever met.

    "It's fine.. just promise to never go to that wretched place," she sighed. Or the Scorpion Den, for that matter, her mind added silently.

    "I promise," he swore. Fierceteeth nodded, content with his vow. She gave him a quick hug before telling him, "Go run along and play because there isn't much sunlight left."

     He didn't end up going out to play since 1: he didn't want to, and 2: RedRunner and Feather were resting up for the field trip tomorrow morning. I'm going to go, he decided firmly, marching into his room. He began devising a plan of how to sneak out, closely monitoring his mother's mind so that he would not be caught.

     The plan ended up looking a little bit like this: after dark, when his mother went to sleep, he would sneak out of their cave and hide in some bushes near the school for the rest of the night until it was time to leave for the trip. Not very well thought out, but I can make it work! he thought optimistically.