Chapter Five :: Kyte

Throughout the span of a few weeks, Quickclaws had put Kyte through many scientific tests, most of which being excruciatingly painful. By the end of the fourth week, she was mostly numb to what was going on. Her eyes were always defocused and she just let everything happen to her. She was so, so tired.

     She sat on the metal table, which had become familiar to her now. Deathwings stood beside her, brushing her wing with his own with a pleased expression. She didn't fight; she didn't care. He tried too hard anyway.

    "Hey, Halfa,"- that was the new 'nickname' he had given her -"I just wanna ask-"

    "Just take me back to my cell," she cut him off flatly. Deathwings frowned.

    "I didn't even-!"

    "Just- please.." she sighed. The NightWing growled, grabbing her by her red-spotted wings and dragging her back to the glass tank. She entered it willingly and waited as Deathwings slid the door closed before locking it. He stared at her for a few heartbeats, his grey eyes reflecting the aqua-colored light of her cell.

    "Goodbye," he finally murmured, padding out of the room. She watched him leave. It felt relieving in an odd way, watching Deathwings' dreams get crushed...

* * * * *

     It wasn't three hours later when Kyte heard talonsteps outside of the door to the room her sell was in. She glumly glanced up at the door right as it opened, expecting to see Deathwings or maybe even Quickclaws again. She was definitely not expecting to see a scrawny, dull grey NightWing she'd never seen before poke his head in.

     She perked up with interest and the NightWing, noticing her movement, turned his head to look at her. He jumped back with a startled yelp as he realized she was a dragon.. in a glowing aqua tube...

    "Uhh, h-hello?" he stammered, peering at her from behind the door. Kyte tilted her head to the side.

    "Who are you?" she rasped. The dragonet took a shaky step inside the room, ceasing his shaking as he got a closer look at her. He stared, murmuring something to himself that Kyte didn't catch.

    "Oh right," he stated, clearing his throat. "I'm.. uh.. I- I'm Preyhunter."

    "I'm κγτε/TS#3927, but you can just call me Kyte," she offered, cracking a slight smile for the first time since she was sold to Quickclaws. Preyhunter looked at her curiously.

    "Uhh.. what are you.. what are you doing in that.. thing..?" he asked, pointing at her cell. She looked around at the aqua glass.

    "My parents sold me to some crazy ass bitch scientist who's been conducting painful experiments on me since I got here," she said simply as breathing. The dull grey NightWing's jaw dropped.

    "Really? That sucks! Forget about my life, you've had it rough..!" he exclaimed, walking closer and pressing his talon against the glass. Kyte looked at him with curiosity.

    "I do?" she asked. She knew her life sucked, but it was all she'd ever known. She didn't know that there was a possibility for a better life for her out in the world.

    "Of course! And, I know what I'm going to say next is gonna sound crazy because we only met each other a few minutes ago, but we gotta bust you out!" he announced.

    "Bust me out? What? How? When?"

    "Tonight.." he nodded at her once before turning to leave. "Man, if I'd've known that my best friend pen pal was torturing a poor dragonet, I would've come sooner!" he murmured under his breath as he walked away.