⸻𝐃𝐎𝐔𝐗𝐈𝐄 𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐇𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐂𝐈𝐀𝐋⸻

[what if the lake incident didn't happen?]

。☆✼★━━━━━━━━━━━━★✼☆。

       LINA HAD NOTICED that Douxie was more happy and upbeat than usual.

       The other apprentice had a bit more skip in his step during the week, as if nothing could break his spirits. It was odd to say the least. Normally, Lina knew the boy would dread doing his chores and often had a glum look on his face whenever Merlin told him to milk the Slorr. Usually, he would hate sweeping all the time and reorganizing the bookshelves—but today was different. He was whistling a tune she couldn't recognize as he swept through the workshop, a small smile on his face. When curiosity got the best of the witch, she finally spoke up.

       "What's with the excitement, Douxie?" She asked, setting down the books currently hovering with her magic onto the messy roundtable near the roaring fireplace. She allowed her magic to fade away, her focus now directed towards the other apprentice as she fixed her red bell sleeves. Even within the workshop tower, she could hear the wind beginning to pick up outside. Her mother used to tell her stories about storms being formed due to dragons racing in the skies. The simple beating of their wings were able to shake the heavens themselves, sending thunder through the mortal plane. It was a rather good story, she had to admit.

       "Oh! Well, you see," Douxie began, stopping his chore and leaning on the broom. "Tomorrow is one of the only days Merlin clears all of my chores and I won't have to be terrorized by the Slorr!"

       "It's his birthday tomorrow, is what he's trying to say," Archie spoke up, settling himself on one of the books previously hovering. The witch glanced at the cat before reaching a hand out and scratching behind his ears, the familiar crooning against her touch. "Merlin gives him the day off to celebrate...except the last time his birthday came around, he ended up at the bottom of the wishing well."

       The mention caused the witch to stifle her laugh at the boy's offended facial expression.

       In all honesty, the boy's upcoming birthday got the girl thinking. She knew she hadn't known him for long—granted, he had arrested her four months ago—but even she knew he deserved something nice. A part of her told her that Merlin didn't seem to care about the boy's birthday.

       Did Merlin even care? The man always seemed to be more focused on anything but his own apprentices. It was always something about advising Arthur, the amulet, or something else about magic. Magical lessons were held only three or four times during the week, except most of the time, the apprentices had to teach themselves. Were they truly apprentices? What was there to learn from a wizard who didn't teach as frequently as he should have?

       No, she pushed that thought away. If Merlin didn't care, so be it. She...cared enough to find a gift for her friend. He deserved something and the witch was determined to carry out her goal.