Chapter 21

I decided to stay back after the show. I was still shaken up after all that had happened. Throughout the whole set, I kept seeing his face is the front row audience, but when I took a second glance, his face dissipated back to the concert goer. I saw Chase and Lucas take side glances at me since I felt as if I was going to pass out. When the lights went out, Lucas had rested his hand on my back and I nearly flew out of my skin. Sonya had seen it and asked what was wrong, but I couldn’t tell her. I didn’t want to relive my experience. I was embarrassed and I didn’t want anyone to know that.

 Lucas offered to stay back with me. I accepted, knowing that he probably would be the only one willing and free from romances that I wouldn’t taking from. Lucas, though I felt liked Tiffany, seemed to always be there for me. If Chase wasn’t bundled down with Tiffany, I’m sure he would have offered also. Sonya insisted that she come with me, but Adam had invited her to go out for the night. After seeing the two of them blossom, I couldn’t dare take her from that. After much debate, however, I relented into her coming back early. Adam didn’t seem to mind. He said he wanted to make sure I was okay also. No one but Chase and Lucas knew what had happened, but they all tried to make it better. Ian even offered to take me out and go shooting, because it always made him feel better. I declined, knowing that it would only make me feel better if it was Maddox’s face on each target.

 Lucas and I entered the bus, plopping down on the couch. He leaned back and closed his eyes as I pulled out my phone. I had three missed calls from Hannah, but I didn’t feel like calling her back. I was going to wait until tomorrow, after I had gotten some sleep. That’s what I really wanted to do right now. Lucas opened his eyes and glanced over at me. He smiled before standing up and heading for the kitchenette and pulling out some cookie dough ice cream.

 “How did you know that that was my favorite flavor?” I asked assuming that it was for me. Lucas furrowed his eyebrows and looked back over at the ice cream.

 “This was for me,” he answered. I immediately felt embarrassed, my face turning red. “But you can have a bowl.”

 “No, it’s okay,” I said quickly but he was already pulling another bowl from the cupboard. I sighed, feeling guilty. Lucas handed me the bowl and I held it in my lap. I stared at it, moving the spoon around the bowl. The ice cream turning to milk. Lucas chowed down, almost done with it in a few seconds. He glanced over at me, watching. I kept my eyes on the ice cream, secretly wishing that Chase was here. Lucas was good company, no doubt, but I liked Chase and I felt like he liked me too.

 “Are you okay?” Lucas asked. I jerked up and he raised his eyebrows.

 “Yeah, sorry,” I answered. I smiled and took a bite of ice cream slush. He watched me slowly, then set his now empty bowl on the floor. He moved around to face me, planting his arm onn the back of the couch.

 “No you’re not,” he said. I glanced over at him.

 “It’s fine,” I sighed.

 “Try me,” he insisted.

 “It’s really okay,” I said.

 “Riley.”