Chapter 2

It was quiet when I got home. I eased the door shut and made my way to my room, not wanting to face my mother. I glanced in the living room to see if she was in there. When I saw her eyes staring into mine, I knew that I had been caught and I'd have to approach her.

 "How was school?" she asked flatly. Her eyes moved back to the crossword she was in the process of finishing.

 "Fine," I answered coldly. She glanced up only to shake her head disapprovingly before deciding it was my cue to leave. I smiled slightly before standing up and making my way to the hallway.

 "Maddox's mother called," her voiced boomed cheerfully across the living room.. Her voice stopped me in my tracks. I turned around and watched as my mother stood up with a smile sprung about her face. "She wants to have dinner Friday night. I told her it was a wonderful idea. Now you can apologize for saying those obscure things about Maddox."

 I stood glaring at my mother in disbelief. I wanted nothing more than to scream. How could anyone not believe their own daughter? Even if their daughter commited murder and all evidence proved her guilty, you believe every word she says. This wasn't about who stole the cookie from the cookie jar, this was my life and my innocence.

 "Mother, I can't," I whispered. Rage grew in her eyes.

 "Riley, you will drop this nonsense. Maddox is a sweet boy and I don't understand how you could possibly put such harsh accusations on a teenage boy. He has so much going for him."

 It was true. Maddox was the star player on the school's football team. He landed multiple scholarships with multiple colleges his sophmore year. Everybody adored him. He was known as the "number one" in our community. Apparently, he wasn't seen as the type of guy that wouldn't do something like this, even if he had. My mother was one that believed it.

 "How could you  not believe your own daughter?" I questioned. My voice rose and I could practically see the flames burning in my mother's eyes.

 "Enough Riley, I'm sick of this. You will go to the Gage's house and you will apologize," she demanded. She slammed herself back into the couch and went back to her puzzle. I knew, now, that this was my signal to go. What was said was said and there was no changing it.

 I ran to my room and slammed the door shut, not caring if it was too rough or loud. I plopped on my bed only seconds before the tears started pouring from my eyes. I didn't understand how my mother couldn't believe me. It was like she didn't want to. And I didn't understand why.

 After a good, long minute, the tears subsided and I sat up on my bed. I stared into nothing until my eyes landed on my guitar. It was propped up in the corner, practically feeling my pain and demanding to be played. I got up from my bed and walked over to it, clasping my hand around the neck, feeling the secruity of my friend in my palms. Taking it, I opened the window of my room and climbed out on to the roof, like I had done many times before.

 The sun was setting right in front of me, making me question if everything was mirage. Would things even get better? My heart sank as I thought of my father, how if he was here, we'd both sit on my roof and he'd hold me close and tell me everything would be okay. Then he'd grab his guitar and sing some crazy song to make me laugh. But he wasn't here, and all I had was my guitar and nothing crazy would be played from it.

 The wind blew ever so slightly, helping the notes that I started to pluck linger a tad bit longer, soft and solemn. Pretty soon, I started to sing along. Each word I sang came from the heart. I could feel the emotion bundled up in each word, bursting out as the wind caught it. I wanted the world to feel my hurt, to hear the pain in each word I sang.

 "It's probably what's best for you

"I only want the best for you

"And if I'm not the best then you're stuck.

"I tried to sever ties and I

"Ended up with wounds to bind

"Like you're pouring salt in my cuts.

 "And I just ran out of band-aids

"I don't even know where to start.

"Cause you can bandage the damage

"You never really can fix a heart."

 I stopped abruptly. His blue eyes looked up and bore into mine and I found myself locked in his stare. His blonde hair blew in the wind as he blinked and then turned to continue down the road, not looking back. I watched as he disappeared into moonlight, trying to figure out why he looked so familiar. My thoughts were interrputed, however.

 My mother walked through my bedroom door and was now planted at the window seal. She glared over at me and I had this feeling that something was about to go down.

 "Phone, now," my mother demanded. She held her hand out waiting for me to abide.

 "No," I answered in disbelief.

 "It's either that or your guitar," she stated. I gawked at her, trying to understand where this was coming from. She sighed and shook her head disapprovingly, she seemed to be doing that a lot lately. "I got your grades in the mail today and needless to say, I am very disappointed in you."

 "More so than before?"

 My mother slit her eyes and I realized that I had said this out loud. I cowered slightly as she motioned for me to come inside. I slipped through the window slowly and stood in front of my mother, arms crossed, face stern.

 "Do you want to be grounded also?" she questioned. I shook my head slightly as she held out her hand once more. "Phone."

 I reached into my pocket and noticed that I had a message from Hannah, but before I could check it, my mother snatched the phone from my hands. She looked at the screen and I could see anger building in her eyes. I snapped the phone shut and then proceeded to turn it off. Judging by the look on her face, I wouldn't get to see the message for a long time.

 "Two weeks. You come home and go straight to your room. No guitar and no TV. If I hear any of those things, it's an added week," she stated. She put my phone into her pocket and made her way to the door. I swallowed hard, trying to force back the tears that were forming a lump in my throat.

 "I thought I wasn't grounded," I choked. She turned around and glared into my eyes.

 "Things change," she said flatly. I shook my head and stormed out of my room and grabbed a bag out of the closet. My mother poked her head around the doorframe and watched as I came storming back into my room and made my way for my dresser. "What are you doing?"

 "I'm going to Hannah's," I stated. I flung clothes for school in the bag and made my way for the bathroom. My mother, however, stopped me in my tracks. She placed her hands on either side of the doorframe and looked down at me. It was quite obvious she was mad.

 "No you are not," she stated. I looked up at my mother, my eyes challenging hers. I didn't care if the tears fell this time. I just shook my head and decided that I would just pick a toothbrush up at the local gas station and share Hannah's bathroom stuff. I turned around and grabbed my guitar and made my way for my bedroom door. I turned around to look at my estranged mother for a split second.

"Watch me."

* * * * *

Hey guys! Sorry it's been so long since an update. I've been very busy this summer!

Sorry this chapter is short, I broke my laptop and so now I'm writing in a journal and when it seems like the chapter is long, it isn't. So if it seems choppy, Im sorry!
(Do any of you know the song being played? HeHe!)
I do not own the song!!!

 Anyway, hope you enjoy! Dont forget to comment and vote! I promise this time, the update won't be so long.

Also, I'm starting my sequel to the only thing that matters, so be looking for it!

XOXOXOXO