---

"WHAT IF THE TRUTH DOESN'T SERVE YOU? I have been wrong about a lot of things: about my father, about me, about the opposition, about our enemies, about our allies... about what I've always known.

What if it takes the side of the person you hate? What if the truth opposes what you've been holding onto all your life? What if it is against what you believe in? What if it is against your principles? Will you stand by the truth?"

Resty lowered his head, pulled a loose awkward smile. "I am the one who's supposed to be asking the questions here, Mr. President."

"On-air," nanatiling seryoso ang interviewee pero malumanay ang tono.

Kaharap ni Resty ang pangulo ng Pilipinas- si Virgo Kristoff Ferdinand.

President V was only forty-six, nearing his final term in office. But he looked like he already carried the emotional weigh of a senior citizen. Some senior citizens were even better off than him, enjoying relaxing retirement hobbies and activities in their big-ass recreational vacation houses. The president, meanwhile, doesn't seem like it.

His handsome, light demeanor aged ten times a few years after he got into the position.

Resty never wondered why is that. He witnessed President V's presidential journey. Most of it. He was, in fact, one of the few, select people who knew way ahead what's going on.

Or so, it seemed.

Nagpatuloy ang pangulo. "Hindi pa tayo nakasalang. Siguro naman, pwede ako magtanong?"

Of course. He's the President. Ano ba ang hindi nito kayang gawin? Asking a question is so simple. It is everyone's right to ask questions, except on few special circumstances.

In this situation, the President is allowed to talk. To ask questions. To mention things related or not with the agenda of their nearing tell-all interview.

"Sige, Mr. President," angat niya ng tingin dito. His hands relaxed from the cue card he was holding securely.

Maingat si Resty na huwag mahayaang masilip iyon ni President V. Kahit pahapyaw lang ang tama ng de-baterya na round light sa gawi nila, maingat pa rin si Resty. It didn't matter if they were experiencing a temporary brown out in the studio. Kung bakit ba naman kasi nangyari pa ito kung kailan under repairs ang generators ng TV network.

He wasn't the notorious Pambansang Anchor if he wasn't strategic, especially with the one-on-one interviews he conduct.

"So, what's your answer to my question?" ani President V.

Hindi siya nagpatinag sa matiim na titig ng kausap. Resty was staring at the most powerful man of the nation, but he knew one thing that an ordinary person doesn't.

That this most powerful man is in a vulnerable position.

The worst of the worst.

That's why he remained unfazed

He wasn't scared of President Virgo, neither of what he can do.

Just a carefully worded question from him and that'll be the final nail on the coffin for the president of the Philippines.

"The truth doesn't always interest the people, Mr. President. Stories does," he answered, unbothered. "I hope that gives you an idea about my answer to your question."