17 - Planado

NO ONE between Resty and Meika ever mentioned about the kiss. They neither talked to each other after that. Sa sobrang pagkataranta, hindi na rin nila malaman kung sino ang unang humiwalay sa kanila. It was as if a thread of electrical flowed between their lips, jolting them away from each other. Basta na lang silang naghiwalay at hindi makatingin sa isa’t isa kaya humarap agad sa entablado.

Resty didn’t know how Meika felt about it. He would steal glances at her from the side of his eye but never caught her look at him. For a moment, she seemed to forget about his presence again. She resumed watching Westlife. Her occasional smile and sparkle in her eyes told him she enjoyed the show, but her upbeat energy completely wound down, as if they were drained out by their kiss. Hindi na siya nakikitili, nakikisayaw, o nakikikaway ng kamay sa mga kapwa manonood. She never sang-along to the songs anymore.

After the concert, Resty briefly instructed Meika to wait for him outside the arena, by the stairs. He and the camera man just had to attend some after-concert briefing with the event’s management and organizer before leaving the place. Tsinek lang ng mga ito ang footages na nakunan mula sa concert. Istrikto ang mga ito pagdating sa mga larawan at video na nakunan ng mga reporter o media bodies para maiwasan ang piracy o sobra-sobrang spoilers partikular sa concert. Once they got the approval to leave, Resty and the camera man approached Meika who was waiting by the stairs.

As the camera man bade goodbye to them, the awkwardness and dead air between them arises once more.

Resty nodded his head to Meika. Mukhang naunawaan naman agad ng dalaga ang pahiwatig niyang sundan siya nito dahil iyon ang ginawa nito hanggang sa makarating sila sa parking space. Pagtayo ni Resty sa tapat ng motorsiklo, walang-imik na inabot sa kaniya ni Meika ang kaniyang helmet.

He touched the other end of the helmet with his head lowered. “I’m sorry—”

“Sorry,” Meika said at the same time.

When their eyes met, Meika slowly released the helmet. Resty tugged the helmet closer to his abdomen. Habang nakatitig sa mga mata ng isa’t isa ay naghihintayan sila na magsalita ang isa. The silence grew longer, so Resty took the initiative.

“Hindi ko sinasadya iyon. May tumulak sa akin . . .” He trailed off because he was already loss for words. Sa palagay niya ay hindi nakakukumbinsi ang dahilan kaya aksidenteng nahalikan niya si Meika.

While Resty was feeling shy, Meika felt more awkward than shy.

“Ako rin naman. Natulak ng katabi ko sa concert kanina. Hindi ako nakaatras agad kaya hindi mo kasalanan ang nangyari.” Meika sighs. It was as if she was frustrated. “Kalimutan na lang natin. Isipin na lang natin na hindi ’yon nangyari. Okay?” Then, she immediately put on her helmet.

Resty was frozen for a second or two. Natulala siya saglit sa dalaga. ‘Okay? How can it ever be okay? It’s a kiss! You don’t just forget something like that so easily!’

Nang ituon na uli ng dalaga ang tingin nito sa kaniya, mabilis na isinuot ni Resty ang sariling helmet at sumampa sa motorsiklo. He kicked back the motorcycle stand, balanced it, then glanced at Meika. He nodded at her, signaling her to hop on the seat behind him. Resty took in a breath as her hands found his hips. Her fingers slipped through the belt loops of his jeans to secure her hold on him.

Minutes later, the ripping engine of the motorcycle roared as it tore the road back to the south. Throughout the ride, Meika felt sleepy because of the pretty stripes of the city lights that they passed by and thre lulling touch of the cool late nigh air. As she watched the dark coastline view along the highway road, she mindlessly rested her head on Resty’s back, right below his nape.