Ch. 2

"Doesn't matter to me." She said.

"Well, I need to attend mass at 8 tonight, and it's 4:00 now, so we have a little time."

"Let's go get something to eat at the coffee shop. I notice that there's a schedule of what plays on the campus theater in there."

"Good idea."

We decided on a movie that started at 5, so we had time to talk.

"So, you're Catholic?"

"I certainly wouldn't go to mass if I were a Pagan!" I smiled at her.

"Haha I guess that was a stupid question."

"What religion are you?" I asked Grace

"I'm sort of a nothing. When I came out as bisexual, I kind of gave up on religion."

"I've struggled with that myself. I've decided to remain celibate or to find a guy that I can love."

"That's a big sacrifice. What if you're misinterpreting the scripture?"

"It's not my interpretation. It's the Church's. Let me guess, you were a Protestant."

"Yes." She responded

"That's a benefit of being a Catholic. The law is layed out clearly."

"Perhaps. But the Church changes its mind on things."

"And that's the downside." We both laughed

They didn't talk much about anything else serious until the movie, both serious in thought about their convictions.

The movie was alright, nothing that great, but watchable.

"Hey, can I have your number?" Grace asked

"Sure. Give me your phone and I'll put it in."

After the exchange, I went up to my room and got ready for mass.

I decided on a light blue button up shirt, a burlap sack like textured off-white feminine blazer, dark red skinny fitting pants with a brown leather belt.

I got there early so I went to confession.

"Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. I have lusted for a girl, and masturbated."

"Is that all?"

"Yes, Father."

"For your penance, say the rosary three times."

We finished the prayers and I went in to mass.

The mass was over at 8:45 sharp, something else that's nice about Catholics-they know how to keep a schedule.

I went back to my dorm, and got on my knees to say my penance.

Afterwards, I went a took a shower and went to bed.

I got up at 4:45 and went to hockey practice. I'm a center, because my height gives me an advantage on face offs.

We got off the ice at 5:45 and went to lift. Today, we worked arms, luckily. After yesterday's race, I don't know that I'd be able to handle a legs workout.

I got done about 6:30 and drank the protein shake the team student manager made for me.

"Hey Alex, come talk to me for a second." Coach said

I walked over to him hesitantly, because he's much quicker to criticize than to praise.

"I noticed you weren't skating as hard today. Pick up the pace at the next practice or you can ride the bench on tomorrow's game."