Ch. 4

I opened my eyes and jumped back.

"I'm sorry. That can't happen though." I said frantically

"You're right. I want to be your friend and I know this could destroy it. It won't happen again." Grace told me

"So anyway, what did you do while I was gone?"

"Oh not much. You Dad taught me a few new signs. I know it will take more than a few weeks to become close to fluent, but I like being able to say basic things to them."

"Yeah, it would be hard to only write things down."

"It is. But you weren't just being biased, you have incredible parents. I wish mine were as good as yours are."

"They're really fond of you too."

"I'm glad. This beats spending Christmas break at a Lacrosse camp, again." She told me, tearfully

"Promise me you won't do that again. If it's ever a possibility, come here instead."

She gave me hug and cried in my shoulder. I obviously hit a raw spot for her.

I just held her and rubbed her back, because I'm not great and comforting people.

"Hey, go ahead and lay down. You can sleep in here with me tonight. I think you need some comfort. I'm going to get some ice cream and we can watch some movies before bed. Let's just forget that thing a minute ago didn't happen."

"Alright. Sounds good."

I went in the kitchen and dished out a few bowls of vanilla ice cream.

I went back in my room and put the ice cream bowls down and grabbed some basketball shorts and a cut off t-shirt and went to my bathroom to change.

When I got back, Grace was still sitting in the same spot, absently looking at the floor.

"Do you like the movie Pitch Perfect?" I asked her

"Yeah." She said unenthusiastically.

I put it on and then pulled the comforter down so we could get in. I got in first and then held my arms open so that Grace could lay against me. She did and I wrapped my arm against her and held her tight.

"No one has ever held me like this." Grace told me

"I've never held anyone like this."

I didn't end up eating my ice cream and I think Grace only ate a bite. At some point we fell asleep.

When we woke up, I was spooning her. I had her hair in my mouth and my arm was asleep but I felt great at the same time. Somehow, more complete than I had ever felt before.

I looked over at my alarm clock, and it was only 5:45. My alarm didn't go off until 7, so I went back to sleep.

When it did finally go off at seven, and Grace jumped. My alarm is REALLY loud apparently .

"Why is that so damn loud?"

"I'm a heavy sleeper and I don't hear super well. Bad combination."

She rolled over and stretched out. "That's the best night of sleep I think I've ever had."

"I slept pretty well too."

We got out of bed and went down stairs. My Dad was in the kitchen finishing up his coffee, and my mom was making pancakes.

I signed to both of them "Good morning," and Grace did as well.

We sat down at the table near my Dad and we both at in quiet.