Ch. 5

We didn't talk much that night. Just watched some TV and went to our separate rooms. There's no reason for her to act like this, because it's my life! I should be able to choose how I live it, and she should has no right to be angry.

I woke up at seven and made eggs, enough for the two of us. When they were ready, I dishes them up and went and knocked on Grace's door.

She told me groggily to, "come in" so I did.

"Hey, I made us some eggs. So let's go in the kitchen and eat and talk about last night." I said as I sat on the edge of the bed.

She nodded and started to get up and stretch and we made our way to the kitchen.

"Why do you care if I want to go to Gallaudet?" I asked her as we were eating.

"Because, I feel like you're throwing away your talents. You could be a great scientist or something, but you don't want to purely because you won't wear a damn hearing aid."

I sat there, a little stunned.

"It's not that easy though. The hearing aid I have is big, and noticeable and you'd be surprised at how differently I get treated. Everyone at school will treat my like I'm an idiot."

"Can't you get a smaller one? And prove them wrong! You're incredibly bright, and I knew that after only talking to you for a few minutes!"

"It's actually a cochlear implant, and they do come smaller, because technology has improved since I got the one I have. My parents haven't gotten me a new one because they can't justify the cost if I won't wear it."

"You're way more deaf than you've led on then. You have to have severe hearing loss for those, I've heard about them. Let me see it. Do you have it here?"

"Yeah." I said nervously.

"Well, go get it." I did so obediently, since we were done eating anyway.

I went and got it out of my room and went back into the kitchen. I put on the external part and turned it on.

"It's not bad at all. It's not even that big."

"I'd rather read lips. Everything is so loud with the cochlear implant too."

"Can't you turn it down?"

"I've tried getting my audiologist to do it, but he says I need to get used to this volume and eventually it'll sound normal."

"How long is 'eventually'?" She said, noticeably more quiet.

"Two weeks and it will start to get better. That's a really really long time to have it be this loud though."

She looked at me like I was crazy.

"You are totally ridiculous. That's not that long. We have two weeks of break left. If you wear it for the two weeks and you still absolutely hate it, I'll never say a word about it again."

"Alright, deal. As long as you talk quieter. I bet this is what a hangover feels like."

She smiled sweetly and whispered, "Deal."

I went to the gym, and Grace stayed back because she needed to Skype her parents.

I just did a Cardio workout. It only took and hour and then I was on my way home. I turned the Cochlear implant off at the gym. There is nothing that I need to hear anyway.

I went back to the house and went into the kitchen.

"Hey" I heard faintly

I turned around and Grace looked annoyed