Chapter 6:

12 o'clock rolled around, so Peppa sat outside with a cheese sandwich. She thought about how blue the sky was, apart from a singular gray cloud not too far away, 'Glad it's not me in that nimbus' she thought. Danny swung his arm around her shoulders aggressively and grabbed Peppa's hand. He smiled from cheek to cheek, which somehow made Peppa feel slightly better about being with him.

"So, how's the most beautiful girl in the world doing" His voice was sing-song-y.

"I wouldn't know."

He furrowed his eyebrow and stuck out his bottom lip in a puppy dog-like fashion, "Aww, baby you know you're the most beautiful girl. And I'm the luckiest boyfriend to be with such a gem like you."

Peppa was pleasantly surprised at this sudden change in personality, "Baby? Where'd that come from, Dan. "

"Just thought I'd try it out, Did it make you feel good?"

She thought hard, does she be truthful, or ignore it? "I guess so.- Also, who sucked your dick?"

Danny laughed wholeheartedly, directing his warm breath into Peppa's neck, "Peps, You're gonna love me after I tell you about what I did for you."

Peppa was puzzled. What could he have possibly done in the space of 4 hours? Maybe he bought her some spaghetti, or got her a bag of those sour watermelon sweets she likes. She looked him in the eyes and grinned when she asked, "Well don't keep me waiting, Dan, What did you do?" 

"You're so cute, Peppa." Danny exclaimed, They both laughed and gently pushed each other. Peppa couldn't remember the last time Danny had been this loving, or even the last time they'd had playful banter. 

"Ok, ok, I'll stop changing the subject," He paused for a moment, to look into her eyes, "So, you know how-"

"Heeyy Dan Dan, Peppa, what are we talking about?" Candy interrupted. She'd brought Pedro with her to sit with them; Peppa knew it wasn't long until the rest of the social group arrives, the moment was over. 

[Peppa]

I'm not sure how to feel about this. One minute I see Pedro again and all my feelings come back, and the next minute Danny and I have one of the nicest moments we've had in a long time. Of course it doesn't change the way I feel about being with Danny, but it makes me feel...conflicted. Not that I'd want to be with Pedro, I just don't want to be with Danny. Or, maybe I've been judging Danny too much, and I just need to give him a chance. My grandparents always tell me of the story of how they got together, apparently my grandma rejected my grandpa 7 times, before she caved and went on a date with him, and look at how happy they are now. But I don't know, I always thought that I shouldn't need that much convincing if I really like someone.

Me and Danny used to be in love, but he never changed, and I guess I changed too much. Sometimes I think it's like when you're 9 and have a crush on  a 30 year old- he just isn't mature enough to me. I wish Candy hadn't interrupted us, maybe he's maturing and things can actually work out with us. Or maybe I'm just hoping I made the right decision being with him.

Danny glances over at me, clearly annoyed by the interruption.

[Peppa End]

Danny looks into Candy's eyes then looks at the floor when groans, "What is it Candy?" His voice displays his irritation, just like he intends. 'Great' Peppa thinks, 'He's switched up again'. She follows his eyes to the floor, at some weeds poking through the cracks of the gray, knackered bricks. They all wait, watching for Danny to say something, and him merely staring. Before too long, Danny snapped his head up and gave Candy a questioning look.

Candy's nostrils were wide, lips pursed and eyes squinting, "Don't speak to me like that, Danny. I'm not just your bitch." She glanced at Peppa then flicked her hair and walked away.

Peppa watched her walk away and through the doors into the school, "Dan, why'd you do that? You could have said it a bit nicer, she didn't deserve that." Peppa didn't even believe herself when she spoke, but she still felt guilt. When she looked back at the door she noticed Pedro looking at the same place. All of  a sudden she felt her cheeks burn and her lips part. Had Pedro seen them being playful with each other? Was he jealous? 

He flicked his head around and caught her staring at her, when he started to chuckle because of what he saw, "I should probably go after her, see ya."

Peppa stood up abruptly and blurted out, "No, I'll go, but first," she looked down at Danny, then back at Pedro, "you remember Danny, right?" His smile morphs.

"Yea, hi."

"Hi."

Peppa looked from Pedro to Danny and back again. You could cut the tension with a knife. She debated whether to leave and follow Candy, but after a while she babbled, "Pedro, I think you should go instead." He nodded and turned away, he paused for a second and then did a brisk walk after her.  Peppa hoped that Pedro didn't think badly of her, and her smile gradually faded as she lost sight of him. Peppa couldn't feel the sour burn of Danny's hurt eyes, instead she focused on the whoosh of the wind against her ears and the steady drum of her heartbeat in her head to mask the feelings cluttering her brain. 

She was brought back to reality by Danny gently shaking her shoulder, "Peppa, did you hear me?"

She stared at him, trying to figure out what she was supposed to have heard, "Yes." She replied assuredly.

"Really?" He questioned, "You're reacting a lot more...different to how I expected." They looked at each other, both trying to figure out the other person. 

"Oi, Dan, you sorted out your girl problems yet?" One of Danny's friends shouted as he approached Peppa and Danny. She realised this was her cue to leave and promptly left hey boyfriend and his obnoxious friends.