Chapter 23: Amity

Ruby POV:

The Vytal Festival has finally started and everything for the tournament is set up at Amity Arena, our team got through the preliminaries just fine so  the qualified teams will go against each other until the double matches start.

Before the tournament starts, I decided to head back home at Patch so I could see Zwei and speak to mom about everything that's happened. I make it over to her gravestone that's completely bathed in the setting sunlight as despite some tears running down my face I manage to calm myself down and smile at the thought of mom.

Ruby: (lowering her hood, smiling sadly downward) Hey, mom. (looks down at the inscription beneath: "Summer Rose – Thus Kindly I Scatter") Sorry I haven't come by in a while. Things have been... well, things have been, pretty busy. Oh, Dad's here, too! He's, uh, you know... Dad.

Ruby: (shrugs) He's still teaching at Signal. But he told me that he's going to be on some mission soon. I think he misses adventuring with you. (looks forlornly) I miss you too. (pause) Haven't gotten kicked out of Beacon yet! So that's cool.

Ruby: I think being on a team with Yang helps. I keep her in line... That was a joke. She's actually a really great fighter! You can tell she's learned a lot from Dad! Oh, so are Weiss and Blake. Oh! They're my teammates! Together, we form Team RWBY! And yes, before you ask, that does cause a lot of confusion.

Ruby: Anyways, I made a bunch of new friends, and then I met some... let's just say, uh, odd teachers. Oh! We've also stopped some bad guys, too! I guess it's like they say: "like mother, like daughter"! I still wonder why Ozpin let me into the school early. But uh, I guess he'll tell me one day. You know how he is. It's funny, the more I get to know him, the more he's starting to sound like Uncle Qrow.

Ruby: Right, I nearly forgot to tell you but...I got a girlfriend! Her name is Xion and she's really nice and really strong too. She's been away for awhile now because some complicated stuff came up and she wanted to do the best she can so others wouldn't be hurt by some of those things.

Ruby: It makes me worried because even though she's really strong, I've seen how scared she can be when she's alone. I didn't want to leave her but she made me promise I'd wait for her until she came back to Beacon, I just hope she's okay.

Ruby: (a bark alerts her to the ever-adorable Zwei and the sight of her father, Taiyang Xiao Long, standing by the trees behind her) Oh! Looks like Dad's back! I gotta go! He's dropping me off at Beacon for the tournament match before he goes on his next mission. Wish me luck! (puts the hood back on and starts to walk away, but turns and delivers one final message to her mother:) It was good to talk.

With that said, Ruby jogs back to her family as a group of crows fly into the sun to make a very familiar sight. Suddenly, a loud eruption of cheers is heard as an multiple crowds from all over the world are seen sitting on the stands of a stadium, which has a field of volcanic earth and icy glaciers.

Within it, Ruby fires and swings her Crescent Rose at her opponent as Blake is seen exchanging blows with Reese Chloris, the blades of her Gambol Shroud colliding with the hoverboard of her opponent until she flips away, readies herself, and charges in again.

Behind her, Weiss waves her Myrtenaster as the sound of her mystical power is heard, and finally Yang dodges the explosive force of Arslan Altan's fist before returning fire with her own Ember Celica.