A Morning With the Family

After a difficult night and a restful sleep, you woke up in the dojo, shivering. You turned over, curled up a bit more to warm up, and your eyes slightly opened to see Mikey beside you.

   -Oh that's right... I spent the night after running away from home for a bit.- You thought.

   You snuggled up in the borrowed futon made up of scrapped fabrics and cotton. Mikey didn't have his own futon, but he had a blanket and a pillow. He was still sound asleep —and somehow perfectly comfortable,— and his mask was stuffed underneath his pillow, and it made you realize: you had never seen him without his mask. It wasn't that much different from his usual masked look... but it was cute.

   Splinter came out of his room, rubbing his eyes and settling into the morning cold, which was easy for him because he had fur. He glanced at both of you and caught eye-contact with your squinting (e/c) eyes. The tall rat man smiled and walked over with his silent feet, kneeling down. For some reason, it gave you anxiety.

   "Good morning. Did you sleep well?"

   You nodded. "It was nice and quiet. I'm a little cold though,"

   "Would you like me to get your sweater?" He asked calmly, gesturing to the corner of the room.

   "Yes please,"

   Sometimes, you would forget parents could be nice like that instead of blaming you for being cold —even when it was such a normal thing. Knowing your father, he would tell you that it wasn't his problem.

   Splinter walked over to the corner that your sweater was all bunched up in and picked it up, bringing it to you.

   "(Y/n), I want you to know..."

   You put your sweater on, getting a chill at first, but feeling yourself warm up very soon.

   "...You are welcome here at anytime. If you ever feel unsafe with your parents, you will always have a place to sleep, eat, and smile here,"

   You looked up at him and smiled, trying really hard not to cry. "Thank you, Splinter. It means a lot. I'll try not to make a habit of it though; I don't want to be a bother,"

   "It won't ever be a bother. I promise,"

   Splinter began walking out of the dojo and Mikey's eyes were fluttering open to the light of the dojo. His eyes focused on you and he smiled sleepily, stretching out.

   "Hey Angel Cakes," he said as he stretched.

   "Hey Mikey. You didn't have to sleep out here you know..."

   "Well, Splinter didn't want us sleeping together in my room... and I didn't want you to be alone... So yeah, I kinda had to," he said with a sleepy voice, sitting up. "Are you hungry?"

   "A little,"

   He tied his mask on. "Come on, I'll make ya something,"

   Mikey reached his warm, three-fingered hand out to you and helped you up. Mikey kept his hand in yours as you both walked out of the dojo and to the kitchen. When you both went through the curtain-doors to the kitchen, you got an immediate stare from Raphael.

   "Uh... good morning everyone," You cooed nervously.

   Leonardo and Donatello didn't notice you in the room until you spoke. They both waved and said good morning. Raphael's response was a little delayed.

   "Uhh, when did you get here?" Raphael asked.

   "Last night. I slept over," you sat down in the chair and leaned on the table.