Part 17

"Tom, can we play 'what if'?" you asked softly, camera propped up against your bedside table lamp. It was only seven in the evening for you, but that meant Tom was pushing midnight. It didn't mean too much to you, since you had adjusted your summer hours to match his working schedule. You both knew that these days would be ending shortly once you went back to work.

In fact, your schedules were the reasons you still hadn't been able to meet face to face. Given that it took four to six weeks to secure a passport, traveling for you was fairly nonexistent. Factor in Tom's schedule in London, interviews, meetings, the odd charity performance here or there—all before season 2 of Loki began to film, it wasn't feasible for him to make the nine hour flight to you and then the nine hour flight back. Neither of you wanted the other to miss out on a work opportunity because of yourself. The selfless nature took a toll on your moods though.

Tom matched your position, his phone nestled against a stack of books on his bedside table and a sleeping Bobby curled in front of his stomach. "Do you really think that's for the best?" tired eyes pleaded with you not to do this right now. Not when you were both tired—and experiencing the pangs of loneliness that liked to attack you in the evenings.

"Is that a no?" and even your small question held all the longing you felt. Were those traces of tears Tom spotted in the corners of your eyes? He hated seeing you like this, but it warmed him to know it wasn't only him that experienced this pain.

"Darling," breathing out a sigh as his hand brushed against his stubbled cheeks. "You know I can never say no to you," he began, your heart constricting at the conjunction that was likely to follow... "But—we both know how we will feel tomorrow..." It would be a night spent creating these hypothetical scenarios that wouldn't come to pass in the near future. Their shared dreams would become nothing more than fantasies when the night ended.

"Please?" you whispered, bringing your comforter to rest underneath your chin.

The silence was short lived as Tom gave into your demand. "What if I flew you to London? What if you spent the rest of your summer break here?" Even the idea alone brought a faint smile to his lips.

"With you?" The excitement was already apparent in your words, seeing you reposition like a child who was far too excited for Christmas to arrive.

"With me," he assured you warmly.

"Together," you whispered, tilting your head to the side as another thought crossed your mind. "What if I snore?"

"I'll buy ear plugs," came his swift response, nothing was keeping him from sharing a bed with you. From sharing everything with you. "What if I steal all the blankets?"

"A very likely scenario," you grinned. "Between you and Bobby, I wouldn't have an inch for myself." A discomfort you would gladly endure...

"As though I wouldn't be holding you throughout the night," he countered, suggestively waggling his brows.

"What if we don't sleep?" came your retort with as much suggestion as he provided moments earlier.

A contented sigh was his response, wondering if those scenes would play out as gloriously in real life as he portrayed them in his head. "What if I took you to my favorite park...the three of us?" He could see it now, a favorite activity of his to be shared with you. The way you would likely burrow closer to him as you walked throughout the park. The way you'd stop every few feet to play with Bobby, as you always confessed wanting to do.

"As long as you don't make me go for a jog with you," warning him as you lifted a finger out from the warmth of your comforter to be pointed at him.