Chapter 9

I stayed at Jade's place after the carnival. She woke me up in the morning, bright and early, to tell me that something had come up at work and she had to go into the office.

I was a little disappointed about not spending the day with her. I was kind of used to being around her.

But then she told me that she had booked me a spa day at my hotel—well, her hotel—and that it was her treat. I thanked her but told her that I'd pay for it myself.

She just smiled and said she'd have them add it to my bill to pay when I left the hotel.

She was so lying. She wouldn't have them add it to my bill.

But I didn't argue. I just got up, and she made eggs and toast for me before she left to go to the office.

Honestly, that girl is perfect. If I had a lifetime left, I'd be hanging on to her.

After breakfast, I headed back to my hotel. Jade had sent Paul back to drive me, which was sweet.

Then, I spent the day getting pampered. I had a massage, facial, and manicure and pedicure.

It was awesome.

I'd never had a spa day before, so I mentally added it to my list and ticked it off.

When I got back to my room, all relaxed and feeling pretty, a garment bag was lying on my bed, waiting for me, with a note on it from Jade.

It said I had to wear the dress—no arguments—to pack an overnight bag, as I'd be staying at her apartment, and that she'd be at the hotel to pick me up at seven thirty.

So bossy. But it's one of the things I like about her. Jade knows what she wants, and she just goes for it.

I pulled open the zipper on the garment bag, and inside was a gorgeous long black dress that had diamantes covering the shoulder straps and a fitted diamante belt sitting just under my breasts. A pair of strappy high-heeled sandals were also included in the garment bag, too.

It was all very Pretty Woman. I did wonder if I could put it down as my romantic movie moment—except that I wasn't a hooker.

So, I did as I had been told.

I applied my makeup and did my hair, styling it up into a pretty chignon with the help of a YouTube video. Got to say, when I was finished, my hair was looking good, and I was feeling mighty proud of myself.

I put on my nicest and sexiest black underwear, and lastly, I slipped into the dress and shoes.

I looked in the mirror, and I barely recognized myself. I looked grown-up. And I felt like a movie star.

For a moment, I was Perrie Edwards...a pretty woman.

Minus me being a hooker or snagging Richard Gere.

But I did have my own businesswoman, Jade Thirlwall, and that was way, way better.

Jade picked me up, as promised, at seven thirty. I loved the look on her face when she saw me wearing the dress. Like a kid in a candy store with a hundred-dollar bill in her hand.

She had Paul drive us to an exclusive French restaurant in London. We ate crazy food, like escargot, and drank champagne all night. We had the best time just laughing and talking.

She didn't push me to talk about my past. She just asked what I wanted for my future.

I didn't have anything to tell her because I wouldn't have a future.

So, I told her the things I used to want before losing my family.

I said that I was thinking about getting a master's in English literature when I got back to Boston.