The Scared, The Broken

EDWARD'S P.O.V.

Everything that's happened in the past 45 minutes was a blur, but at the same time, I can remember all of it. I sit in the passenger's seat and turn my head to look back at Rosalia. She hasn't spoken a word since she entered the car. Her head remains facing down as her face looks so distraught. Her eyes are a bit red from silently crying. She'll let a few tears stream down her face and then the tears will dry on their own. I've tried to wipe them and console her, but she won't let me touch her, let alone get near her. My heart aches to see her this way. Where's the happy girl I saw at the restaurant and even at the roof of the school. A lot has been going on for her. Things I wish I could have been there for so she could tell me. Rosalia feels ashamed and is terrified out of her mind right now, but I need to let her know she is not alone.

Taking a short breath, I speak, "Rosalia." In the corner of my eye, I see her flinch terribly. I ball my hands into fists. What did they do to you in there? I stare at her wrists that were free from those dastardly chains, but the redness from her skin remained. I want to rip the head of the person who put them on there. "I understand that a lot has happened since we last met. As of right now, it appears things aren't looking up for you." Her hands immediately clasp together and she holds them tight. I can hear her breathing for a second until she goes silent again. Poor thing. She's afraid of what I'll say.

"I want you to know that everything is going to be okay." For a moment, she freezes in place. Unsure of what to say; she peeks at me in the corner of her eyes. Finally, she's willing to listen to what I have to say. "Things are...complicated right now. I think it's safe to say they're extremely complicated. However, you are not alone. Liam and I are on your side."

I regretted the moment I let that last sentence exit my mouth. Her face dropped and turned into so much despair, I feared she would cry. I have to understand that what comes out of my mouth is crucial. If I remember correctly, back at the restaurant, she stated that she was not Liam's mate. I don't know what's happened between the two of them since then. It could have improved, it may have gotten worse, or nothing might have changed. I don't know. I'm not going to get it out of here, nor do I want to. She's probably been through a lot since then. Being an alpha to a different pack myself, I just don't have that much time to always be around. Even so, I still want to be there for her. I look to see her lips moving, but I don't hear anything. "What?"

"...no, you're not."

I'm taken back by the comment. She must be too afraid to believe me after Liam forced us back into the car together. "I promise you that-"

"You're lying! You heard everything I said back there! You saw the proof you needed to see! I did it, okay?! I attacked Brittany!" The girl who I met to be so shy and quiet was now a fierce, angry, and bitter woman. Her hands clenched the seat so right that the seat could rip at any moment. Her eyes began to repeatedly glow gold. It was as if she was fighting with herself since her eye color kept changing. This was the first time I was seeing her in such a state. How much anger has she held back? How long has this been hurting her? I try to speak, but she continues.

"Don't say you're on my side after hearing everything! I wanted her dead Edward! At first, all I wanted was to hurt her, just so she would understand the pain she put me through. Just to feel hurt emotionally and physically. The way I experienced pain from her. She never cared how she hurt me. She never felt guilt. No apologies were heard from her. I..." She looks at her hands as they shake uncontrollably. I need to stop her. Bringing the story back up won't do her any good. "Rosalia-" She slaps my hands away and glares darkly. Shocked by the fact that she won't even let me calm her down makes me realize the situation is more serious than I thought.