Uncertainty

ETHAN'S P.O.V.

"What?! What do you mean all the evidence is gone?!" Veronica's voice had gone from normal to a screeching banshee. The entire station was hearing her tantrum and seeing the extent of her anger. The only one brave enough to speak on the situation. It's no surprise to everyone, but this might be the worse I've seen her. I understand her frustration. A difficult case that's been worked on has been put on hold. Or perhaps it's going to be closed. It's hard to say with the head captain informing all of us to not speak a word of the case to the public. At first, everyone had something to say, but once he mentioned the Alpha's order, anyone who tried to open their mouth would have been an idiot. For a good 10 seconds, that lasted, until Veronica decided otherwise.

"Captain you can't just let that girl go! She committed a crime and she has to be punished! You let that monster back into society?!"

The captain let out a frustrated sigh as the woman bickered on. I don't know what the alpha said to him, but whatever the case, it looked like it took some more years off his life. I knew from the moment he entered the room during the interrogation and put an end to it, that he was the real deal. I can still feel the goosebumps over me and the hairs on my arms sand straight. That's the effect an alpha has over people. They truly are powerful beings.

Head captain doesn't say a word; his eyes remain closed as he stands in the middle of the room. Perhaps contemplating on what to say to the enraged detective. Everyone knows that Veronica takes her job seriously, she's been praised for the good work she's done in previous cases against criminals. However, working with her, I always felt that although she fights for justice, she's not 100% there for good. It's just my personal opinion towards her. Although a job like this should be taken seriously, she takes it a bit too far. Head captain realized that, and so, I was made her partner. Well, a partner in training. It's my job to keep her in line. I figured it would do me some good to get practice in and all the knowledge professionally by taking on the request. If only I had known that the challenge wouldn't be the job itself, but Veronica.

I don't have an answer for it yet, but there's something about Veronica. Something bad. "Captain! Hello?! Why are you saying anything?!"

Opening his eyes, he looked Veronica in the face, "Detective. You need to calm down."

That comment alone seemed to set her off even more and I hated the outcome of that, "You're telling me that now we just let criminals walk out the door and don't pay for their crimes?! Is that how this works?! You should not have let that boy-"

"THAT BOY IS THE ALPHA!" Eyes widened and mouths closed shut immediately. I had never seen the head captain's face turn so red from anger. Veronica quickly shut her mouth from the shock. "In case you need a history lesson detective, alphas in this pack are people you respect no matter how much you disagree with them! Not only is he the alpha, but he's also of the royal bloodline. He could take away everything from us if he wanted! So if you truly want to keep opening that stubborn mouth of yours, you'll be the only one here dumb enough to throw yourself into the fire!"

Speaking of faces that had never been seen before, I almost spoke out of turn from how Veronica was so shocked that for a moment, I thought her eyes were going to pop out from the socket. "Royal bloodline? What do you mean?"

"Are you that full of yourself?! The Royal Knight family! They've run this pack for centuries! Anyone out of their God damn mind would be stupid enough to go against them." A deep growl found its way from the captain as he forced himself to calm down. "Let me make this clear Detective Stabler. Since you're the only one here that doesn't know of the pack's history I'll be lenient towards you this once since you've done good work in the past. For the safety of everyone and more importantly yourself, you best quell your anger and let it go..." His eyes turned a dark color showing his inner wolf and a few people in the room even held their breath. I looked to see Veronica shaking a bit. Another sight to see that caught me off guard.