Chapter 16

Out of the blue. That's usually how Justin appeared in front of me. When I least expected him, he was there, calling me Ellie-bean or bringing me coffee. It occurred so often recently that it wasn't so out of the blue anymore.

After running into him on Saturday, I was expecting Justin to appear again today. We may not have said much, or implied that we would have coffee, but I just knew.

And I was right.

Justin placed a fresh coffee in front of me before taking the seat opposite. I didn't glance up, knowing a smile would break free as soon as I looked at him. Instead, I pretended to focus on my reading.

"Not speaking to me today, Ellie-bean?" he asked in an amused tone.

I gave a light shrug, my insides fluttering.

"I guess I'll take this back then," he said, faking disappointment as he lifted my coffee.

I placed a hand on top of the disposable cup. "Don't you dare."

I was right again. The grin that spread across my lips the moment I looked up at him was uncontainable.

His seemed to do the same. "Knew you couldn't resist me."

"You or the coffee?" I countered with confidence.

He leant forward a little. "You tell me."

I kept eye contact as I brought the cup to my lips and tasted the delicious brew. Macadamia, of course. "Mm, it is the best coffee on campus. How could I possibly resist it?"

Justin closed his eyes and shook his head. "You wound me, Ellie-bean. Here I am, thinking my name in your diary meant something."

My cheeks warmed immediately, and I reached for my open date book where his name was pencilled in for coffee again. I slammed it shut and tidied my belongings. I'd spread my books and laptop across the table while I was studying, apparently laying all my business out for him to see.

I didn't respond because in truth, I didn't know what to say.

Yes, I daydream about you so much I end up writing your name all over the place?

While I write your name in my book, I imagine what your naked chest looks like?

No way was I admitting anything.

Instead, I pulled my textbook closer and tried to refocus my attention.

In the reshuffle of my belongings, my laptop screen caught Justin's eye. "What kind of music are you into?" he asked, eyeing the streaming service curiously.

I glanced up at him and shrugged. "I don't know, songs that sound good?"

He pulled a set of headphones from his backpack. "Mind if I listen?"

"You want to listen to my playlists?"

"Music interests say a lot about a person."

I had to wonder if that was true and decided I wanted to find out. Maybe Justin had some insider information, being a musician and all. I pushed my laptop toward him as way of permission for him to analyse me through my favourite songs.

He plugged his headphones in and started scrolling immediately. His eagerness suddenly made me feel nervous. Some of those songs were embarrassing.

I tried to push those thoughts from my mind by looking back down at my text. It was about the impacts of innovative and sustainable designs on new hospitality venues. Considering the subject matter, the reading was rather dry.