Chapter III: Cracks In Progress

*Flashback, Your POV*

  Kanao was actually very skilled with her sword. Whenever we would spar, she would win most matches. But I didn't feel right attacking her the way she struck me.

  Probably because she was a girl, but also because of our different fighting styles.

  Once we were done, I went to get more Sake to ease my thoughts, but I felt a presence nearby, I turned and noticed Shinobu entering the room, so I quickly hid what I was doing.

Y/N: Hello ShinShin. How are you today.

Shinobu: I'm alright. I see you're as bruised and happy as ever.

  I barely noticed Kanao left me with some battle scars across my body and face. They were small, but still noticeable apparently.

Y/N: Oh no. I just fell. Like a lot. Nothing else to it.

Shinobu: (Y/N), why did you decide to try using Insect breathing?

  The question didn't surprise me, she was too sharp for me, and I loved that about her.

Y/N: Well, Kanao already decided to learn Flower breathing. And I'm not really creative on making up my own form of breathing.

Shinobu: It would have been more efficient to learn Flower breathing. Two heads are better than one. Also, you are too strong for insect breathing. I use it because of my limitations of height and strength. You don't have such limits. Yet you learned it anyway. Why is that?

  I felt my smile begin to fail as I turned my one good eye away from her. I felt too embarrassed to say why, but I knew I had to suck it up and admit it to her.

Y/N: Because I, umm. B-Because I.

  You felt your cheeks heat up as your body heat was rising. But you decided to man up and say it.

Y/N: Because I admire you.

Shinobu: ?

Y/N: You're so calm and calculated, even with your small frame. You are still one of the best slayers. So strong and relaxed in the face of danger. I wanna be like you. You're brave, smart, pretty, elegant, graceful, and every other good term under the sun.

  Shinobu smiled softly at my words, it made my heart speed up a bit, especially when she put her hand on my shoulder.

Shinobu: If you desire, then you can use my breathing technique. At least until you manage to learn what style fits you better. I still see so much potential growth in you. But your strength would be better with another style. Even if it's one of your own making.

  Without warning, I pull her in for a warm embrace.

  I think it was around this time that I officially decided that my heart belonged to her. I wanted to protect her. Her and Kanao.

  I had a deep love for the both of them. I had to get stronger so that I could keep them all safe.

*Present*

  The final day of Final Selection. I managed to drink the rest of my gourd which may have been a mistake. Because I forgot this stuff was stronger than what I was normally used to.

  I also followed that Zenitsu boy for a couple of days to see what his deal was. There was no way he was that weak so I decided to follow and observe. One time, he managed to get cornered by demons and called out my name for help until he passed out.

  Then, just as I was about to help him, in his unconscious state, he unleashed an attack that was so blinding to the eye. I am so glad I got to observe his style so closely. He was strong, and I knew that much about him. His potential was high.