The Fight

Maka and Soul have an argument and both say some things that could have went on unsaid. What if Maka really steps over the line this time. Will Soul ever forgive her?

Soul ducked swiftly as yet another object was thrown in his direction. Why were they fighting? He actually couldn't remember what had sparked this off. It started off as something small but grew due to the comments made and had come to this.

"Maka, stop being so pathetic," he snapped as she ran out of objects to throw. "I get it, you like hitting me with books but during an argument? When you have an actual intention to injure me? Just fuck off with the throwing and let's talk!"

Maka growled at his wording and looked around for more objects, making Soul snarl in anger to step forward and clutch one of her wrists. As he did so, she cast her other hand up to swing at him, aiming for his jaw.

Soul caught her small fist before it made contact with his face and met her eyes with a blank expression. Maka looked up at him with wide eyes, as if surprised at what she'd just done.

The apartment went quiet before Soul finally spoke.

"Don't fucking try that again." He said quietly.

Inside, Maka was screaming at herself that she shouldn't have done that. Trying to punch him was more than a step too far but she was too angry to admit it.

"Or what, Soul?" she yelled, pulled one hand away. "Maybe you should think twice before commenting on mine and my Papa's relationship!"

"I only said you should give him a chance," Soul tried to reason, his grasp tightening on her wrist.

"Look, just because your parents didn't give you any affection as a child doesn't mean you understand! If anything it makes you understand less."

"Maka-"

"Jeez, you wouldn't get it at all! Your parents didn't even love you!"

She regretted the words the moment they came out of her mouth. Soul dropped her wrist as if he hand been electrocuted and fell a step back. He fell a few more steps back as she tried to follow.

"S-Soul- I'm so sorry, I-I didn-"

He held a hand up, gesturing for her to stop and she did before lifting his head to eye her in shock. His eyes just about broke her heart. There was anger, sadness, hurt but most of all, the feeling she could see so clearly and made guilt and regret twist in her stomach like a knife.

Betrayal.

Maka felt sick. Why did she do that? How could she do that? He just stood there, looking at her through squinted eyes as if she were a different person.

"...I can't believe you just said that." He gasped in a quiet, broken voice.

"S-Soul," she stepped forward but he walked around her, heading to the front door and grabbing his bike keys from the side table and slamming the door behind him.

Maka paced the apartment with a hand pressed firmly over her mouth, her green eyes trained on the floor but every once in a while casted up to eye the front door before continuing her previous ministrations. She waited for the sound of the key turning inside the lock to announce her weapon's return. Her keys were clutched in her hand as she fought the urge to go out and drag him back to this apartment herself.

Maka and Soul were no strangers to arguing. They did so on a daily bases and most days never even remembered why they were fighting when all was said and done. But this was different. She - She said some things that she shouldn't have. As did he but she crossed the line more so than him.

She pressed a hand on her forehead and dropped her keys, her knees giving out from under her so she fell to sit on the couch.

"I can't believe I did that," she gasped over and over again until she sobbed. She lay there for what seemed like hours, wanting nothing but the comfort from her weapon but knowing she'd get no such thing. He couldn't forgive her for that. She wouldn't forgive herself for that. He trusted her and she betrayed him, she hurt him.

She didn't hear the door click open and she cried heart brokenly into the couch cushion, gasping "I hurt him," and "I can't believe I said that," over and over again as Soul walked to the living rooms frame, catching her words. Hearing them, he didn't hesitate. He strode over to where she sat and wrapped his arms around her before pulling her onto his lap. She was startled but as she saw it was him she burst into another flood of tears, burying her face in the crook of his neck as she sobbed, saying how sorry she was and admitting what a bad person so was, promising anything and everything to him so that he would forgive her.

Soul just smiled and stoked her hair as she did so, shaking his head fondly and tightening his arms around her as her small frame was shook with cries.

They were no strangers to arguments, therefore they were no strangers to making up after one.