Chapter 9 - Taking a Pennyworth Break

No one even breathed. The silence was deafening. Murder Number 3 has occurred and they were nowhere near the killer.

"Play the video," Bruce instructed Tim and Tim did.

It was brutal, really! The killer did not really hold back. The camera had caught the woman, punch the man till he bled. Though the camera failed to capture the man's face, but once the man was unconscious, the woman lifted her hand, closed her eyes and pretty much conjured up the weapon: the scarf.

"How did she do that?" Dick asked, breathless.

"That must be her power," Stephanie answered, her eyes still glued to the screen.

They saw the woman strangle the man with the scarf and then jump away, vanishing into thin air.

Iris looked sick, but she made no move to escape the Cave.

As silence continued, Tim uploaded the picture of the weapon of murder, hoping to get a lead based on similarity and ran a search on his device. The scarf to him seemed peculiar. Ladybug spotted design?

"I..I think, we should leave this, right now," Bruce said, "We can't investigate without being there on sight. And with the vigilantes exiled, we really have no choice."

All the others scowled, "We can't give up!"

"You taught us to stay determined."

"Besides, ever since the news came out, protest marches have been held in our favour. It won't be long before our help is needed!"

As protests rang from every member of the family, Bruce pinched his nose, "At the moment, we are all exhausted. No researching today. We'll get back at it, first thing tomorrow. Today is family night anyways."

The family was silent. There was nothing much they could do. 

"By the way, we are picking up Tyler and Scarlet for tonight," Barbara said, "They have been missing their grandfather dearly."

"Ya, I miss them a lot," Dick stated, "It's not fair how they had to be put in another city, just so they can't be put in danger," Dick pouted. His sentiment could be understood. His children had to be sent away to Metropolis when they were five, under Clark Kent to ensure safety. They were planning to bring them back to Gotham, when the LJ Killings took place and they had to delay.

"So it's settled," Selena stated, "Family Time, today, after work. Also Damian, try to invite Marinette, would you? I want to meet the girl who wooed you without even trying," she teased, trying to diffuse the tension in the room.

Damian stood still, his eyes tired and mood uninterested, "Any effort put in, is pointless. She may already have a significant other," he told tiredly.

Everyone stared wide-eyed at the fact that Damian admitted his interest on the girl, without any hesitation.

"Still, bring her in. Even your brothers seem to like her. And they rarely like the same person," Selena smiled.

Jon had gone back to Metropolis that day, something about a meeting with a client.

Everyone exited the room, Bruce was last to follow, but not before cutting off the power supply to the Bat Cave. In case, any of his stubborn children decided to investigate at night. His decision was fruitful, considering Tim's cry of frustration, later that morning.

_________________________________________________

Damian sat idly in his office, sorting his files. Ever since Marinette came in, there has been a boom in the Clothing Industry and for that he was extremely grateful. Her motto was not 'riches for elegance,' like most fashion houses, she aimed for 'quality, style and comfort at affordable prices.' And that was the reason for this boom. Almost every household had one MDC Original. That was for sure!