◦•●◉✿ Chapter 9 ✿◉●•◦

Iwa: bangs phone on table in an angry huff

Oiks: Be nice to your phone. Would you like it if I banged you against the table like that??

Iwa:

Iwa:

Iwa: howamisupposedtorespondtothat

◦•●◉✿ ✿◉●•◦

I complained as my friends dragged me to the gym.

"Guyyyyyssss," I whined. "Why do I have to go? You could have just gone by yourselves!"

"You're gonna have to start caring if you're gonna be their manager, you know," Riko retorted.

"Hahh?!" I folded my arms. "I haven't agreed to it yet!"

I rolled my eyes as they dragged me along behind them, still following Oikawa to the gym. Upon entering we saw him getting out the club equipment and started setting up the net by himself.

"Hey, Oikawa!!" Riko called out, tugging me along beside her.

Oikawa looked up from what he was doing, clearly surprised. He smiled and waved cheerfully as we approached him. "What are you all doing here?"

"We saw you from the classroom, so we thought we'd see what you were up to," Kia responded.

"Oh is that so?" He said before shifting his attention to me. He smirked. "I see you're looking out for me, just like a manager would," he said teasingly.

I rolled my eyes. "Honestly..." I sighed. "Anyways, why are you out here practicing by yourself? Shouldn't your teammates be here?"

He tilted his head slightly with confusion, then waved his hand as if to dismiss me. "Ah, no, I'm just practicing my serve."

Riko finally let go of me and started assisting Oikawa with setting up the net. "Well don't practice too hard, or your arms might fall off," she joked.

Kia brought the cart of volleyballs closer to where I stood.

Am I supposed to be helping too? I mean, not that there's really much for me to do... Though I'd feel bad if I just stood here...

I furrowed my brow in contemplation. Oikawa must have noticed, as he spoke to me again. "If you wanna help, mind tossing me a few balls?" He gestured to the cart. I nodded and stood a few feet away from where Oikawa had positioned himself. Once everything was set up, Riko and Kia took place by the cart so they could hand me the balls to toss.

As soon as he was ready, Oikawa gave us a thumbs up and had his hands ready for the set. Riko handed me the first ball. I looked at the ball in my hand momentarily, unsure if I would be able to get it high enough for him. I bit my lip a little as I tossed it in Oikawa's direction. My suspicion was right, because the ball didn't quite make it high enough, and I panicked as I watched Oikawa duck and try to scoop the ball back up.

"I- I'm sorry!!" I shouted and bowed a little, hiding the embarrassment on my face. "I freaked out over nothing and messed it up-"

"Hey, it's fine," Oikawa interrupted my apology with calm sincerity. "It's just practice, don't get so worked up about it. You're not doing all the hard work anyway, so you don't need to be stressed," he said with a lighthearted tone. But for some reason what he said was off-putting.

Nonetheless, I nodded and asked Riko to hand me the next ball. This time I had managed to calm myself down and toss the ball normally to Oikawa. It worked better this time, as he managed to hit it. The ball flew over the net and slammed onto the other side of the court. After it landed, Oikawa turned to me and gave me a thumbsup and a goofy smile. I smiled back awkwardly.

This went on for about ten minutes. I'd send the ball to Oikawa, he'd hit it with all his might, then turn to me and give me a thumbs up or down for how good the toss was. After awhile I decided to call it quits and started putting away the volleyballs.

"Hey, what are you doing? Break isn't over quite yet," Oikawa protested. "I wanted to practice a bit more!"

I shook my head as I took the cart of balls and pushed it back towards the club room. "Yeah but we should pick up early anyways. Besides, work too much now and you'll overdo it. Save some of that stamina for practice."

He hesitated for a moment before wrapping his arm around my neck. "You really are like a manager aren't you? Always looking out for me!" He smiled and laughed cheerfully. "You really should join us, you know."

I glared at him a little before sighing. "I said I'd consider it. The more you ask, the less I want to do it. Now get off of me and go shower before class, you smell like sweat!!" I said half jokingly as I removed his arm from my shoulder.

"Alright, alright! But I hope to see you at practice later!" He gave me a peace sign before heading to the showers. I gave in to a lopsided smile and waved as I watched him leave before turning to my friends and heading back to class.

"You know," Riko started to talk as we made our way back. "For someone who protests being around Oikawa, you get all nervous whenever you're around him," she smirked.

I went wide eyed as my cheeks heated up. "Sh- Shut up!! Don't say things like that!" I tried to defend myself. "Geez, don't get me all worked up. Honestly, it's not like that! I hardly even know him!"

"Mmmhmmm," Riko sighed through her laughter.

"Regardless of whether or not you like him, it wouldn't be a bad idea for you to be their manager," Kia stated. "You do seem to care and take charge of things. And it would be good for you to make more friends."

"Hmm, maybe," I said.

We managed to get back to our classrooms before the bell. Throughout the rest of class, I found it difficult to focus. At one point I looked out the window and let my mind wander for awhile, mostly thinking about what it would be like for me to be the volleyball club manager. Come the end of class, I had already made my decision.

◦•●◉✿ ✿◉●•◦

5/25/2021

2:37pm

◦•●◉✿ ✿◉●•◦