Chapter 10: Kion's Plan

Rani sighed deeply, irritated as she lay in bed, her swollen stomach now looking ripe for birth. Her episodes of morning sickness only got worse and mixed perfectly with swollen feet and bellyaches. But perhaps worst of all, her physician insisted she spends as much time in bed as possible, meaning she couldn't perform her duties as Queen.

Managing the Kingdom gave her a sense of purpose and motivation. It wasn't that she didn't trust Kion with running things, far from it, but the truth was Rani loved being a Queen and seeing the fruits of her hard labor in the faces of her subjects. Now she'd been locked up in the palace like a prized mare ready to deliver a colt.

Rani stroked her stomach.

"Just a few more weeks." She told herself. However, the more she thought about it, the more Rani realized that things would never be the same. She couldn't just go back to being the Queen as she had, not without handing her and Kion's baby off to a nurse.

Rani held her stomach tighter, terrified of the thought that someone else might raise her baby for her. No! That wouldn't happen! She wouldn't even let a wet nurse take them. She'd nurse them herself as her mother had and personally ensure their well-being.

Rani slowly reached over and looked over some parchment that Cadoc snuck her as the minutes went by. Unfortunately, by the time they got to her, there was little Rani could do about it, but at least it kept her in the loop.

Moments later, she heard the door open and looked up at Kion.

"Evening, mon amour." He said cheerfully, only to earn an almost agitated look from his wife. Kion stood soaked in sweat from several hours on the tilting in the courtyard.

"Your majesty." A servant bowed her head and nervously entered the chamber, holding a food tray. She saw the Queen staring at her like an angry lioness ready to pounce and slowly approached.

"Dinner, your grace." She muttered, slowly setting down the plate of green vegetables, dried fish, and avocados alongside a tall glass of milk. Rani growled at the meal she'd served to her again and again, on the insistence it was 'good for the baby'.

"Is something wrong?" She muttered, trembling.

"Oui, something's wrong! I need real food!!! Pas cette merde!" Rani snarled, almost knocking the tray over. The servant yelped and nearly tripped over herself to getaway.

Kion placed himself between the servant and Rani.

"It's alright, I've got it from here."

"Merci, your grace!" She almost shouted and frantically ran off.

"The baby still giving you love?" Kion said with a smirk. Moments later, he jerked aside as the cup of milk flew at him and hit the wall. Despite this, Kion continued to chuckle. He knew Rani was going through Hell and did his best to sympathize.

"Gaaah! I can't take it anymore! Go get me some real food!! And tomorrow I'm going to the council meeting!!" Rani snarled. Kion shook his head.

"Afraid not, mon amour."

"Then have Beshte carry me if you're not strong enough!!!"

Kion removed his armor and gambeson, revealing his thick muscles, which shined in the candlelight from his sweat. Rani didn't seem moved by this as a fresh wave of pain in her feet came over the Queen. Kion walked over and sat beside her, a defiant look on his face.

"The physician told you to stay in bed and to eat this food for-"

"Kion, I swear if you say the good of the baby, I'll-" Rani snarled before feeling a strong finger pressed against her lip.